ID/Treatment for Angel Fish

framerguy

My angel fish has a zit looking thing on it's side. Can anyone ID it and direct me on how to treat it? Possible relative info is that this fish has seemed to have a swim bladder problem for about three months. It seems to swim a little extra hard to stay in the water column and it's tail is always a little higher than the head (see pic below). If it rests for a moment it starts to float up. Neither symptom seems to bother it in the least. It is eating normally. I have had this fish for one year. I had a temp issue for two days this week. I didn't notice that the fan quit working and my temp reached 86 on Tuesday before I could cool it down. It is down to 81.7 today. The tank is 375 gallons.

Parameters are
NO2&3:0
Am:0
Calc:405
Mag:1325
Alk:7
temp:see above
PH:8.05-8.25

I don't know what else to tell. Here is a picture of it...

closeupresized.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't have anything to add but GOOD luck buddy! Give me a call sometime. It's been WAY too long!!

A. :)

leebca

The photo isn't clear enough for me to be of much help.

Lymph nodes look like cauliflower -- misshapen lumps. If this is smooth and 'under the skin' then it could be worms, flukes, or a bacterial colony being blocked off by the fish immune system -- much like a human pimple. Without a clear diagnosis, can't recommend doing anything at this time.

framerguy

The photo isn't clear enough for me to be of much help.

Lymph nodes look like cauliflower -- misshapen lumps. If this is smooth and 'under the skin' then it could be worms, flukes, or a bacterial colony being blocked off by the fish immune system -- much like a human pimple. Without a clear diagnosis, can't recommend doing anything at this time.
I really appreciate you looking Lee. That was the best pic I could get and I tried for a while. The 'thing" is smooth and circular, not lumpy or cauliflower like. This fish is in my 375 and I don't see a way to catch it as it won't go into the fish trap. I would love to quarantine it.

leebca

This puts it into the category of either worm/fluke, or a 'pimple.' If the latter, it could heal on its own, providing that the fish was getting proper nourishment and in a proper environment, although if this condition is just showing up, then either one or both may be 'off.'

Ideally, even if the condition is a pimple, the fish should be moved to a QT then treated with an antibiotic that goes through the skin, like Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes.

If worm/fluke, the fish needs to be quarantined.

Don't tell me you can't catch a fish in a box :smack:

You'll have to find a way if you want to treat the fish. Some suggestions may be found here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...41546-goin-fishin-catching-fish-aquarium.html

framerguy

I'll try again tonight with feeding and the net. The darn thing wouldn't go into the box no matter what I put into it. I have a QT tank. OK...I'm going fishing!