id needed please?!!

Img_130629201827_zps2b281d3d.jpg

Mike Johnson

Really? It's moving? The only thing I can think of that would look like that and move is a flat worm. "IF" it is you need to get it out.

Surfnut

A member had one of those a few years back. He had it for quite some time as well. They are not harmful if I recall correctly. It's called a black nudibranch. Perhaps someone can peg down the scientific name.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Nudibranch is my guess also....not harmful to fish but most are not considered safe with corals. If you have corals, I'd suggest that you remove it.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This is when having a sump w/refugium would come in handy. A place to put creatures until we really know if they should go or stay. Looking forward to adding a refugium on my set up.

Mike Johnson

Okay. I have an I.D. for you. It's called an Egg Cowry, Ovula ovum. They are solid black when mature. It feeds on soft corals of the genus Sarcophyton spp. and Lobophytum sp.

So, it's not a flatworm or a nudibranch.

Mike Johnson

Nope, I'm sticking with Egg Cowry; especially after seeing the new photos. Have you picked it up? Can you confirm whether it has a shell or not?

Mike Johnson

Okay was looking at it with my phone yesterday and did not see that it is, in fact, a snail; sorry. So you can rule out Nudibranch and Cowrie.

But the problem is I still think it has a shell. Have you actually touched it? Because now that I have seen the mouth parts and antennae I am almost positive (99%) that it is a Scutus.