ID Help I'm guessing Cryptoplax larvaeformis??

oldsaint

My best guess is a Cryptoplax larvaeformis, but they are only suppose to get up to 60mm. This thing is closer to 6"-7". I have to admit when I first saw it it scared :bugout: my a little.

11.jpg

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Are you lost :D Don't remember seeing you here before ;)

First, I need some info. You are taking about the long finger like "thing" in the center of the pic. It curves to the right and goes behind the rock. If that is it that is no Chiton at all. Chitons can not bend around corners. ;) How does this thing move or does it move. Is there a shell, for sure ?

That pic is bad ;) Why can't you pick it up and put in a dish for a better pic ? Funny on my search I ran into you on another forum but no pics, they have been removed. Some else on another forum has something similar and is using the same ID as you. He has no nics :( As your pic sits, as is, it looks like Jacknife, only they are usually not that curved and they are a long curved bivalve and do get 6 " long and are about as wide as your finger and can move around. However, jacknifes, razor usually sit in the sediment

Something else I found;
The most common species of coralline in the region, Hydrolithon onkodes, often forms an intimate relationship with the chiton Cryptoplax larvaeformis. The chiton lives in burrows that it makes in H. onkodes plants, and comes out at night to graze on the surface of the coralline. This combination of grazing and burrowing results in a peculiar growth form (called castles) in H. onkodes in which the coralline produces nearly vertical, irregularly curved lamellae.

razor_lg.jpg

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 111

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Thanks doni for an idea :D

OS

This combination of grazing and burrowing results in a peculiar growth form (called castles) in H. onkodes in which the coralline produces nearly vertical, irregularly curved lamellae

Is this possible or is the whole 6 " the actual animal, meaning that is not a "cave " like structure for say 4 ". Maybe yours is not vert but horz.

samantha

Hi there, I just finished a invertebrates course at university, and thats for sure a chiton genus cryptoplax, do you know where Its from? I did an experiment on a species found on the great barrier reef and it really looks like this guy! but there are few different species that look really similar

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Hi samantha - if you don't get a reply, it's because you are replying to a post made on 06-19-2005

oldsaint

Hi there, I just finished a invertebrates course at university, and thats for sure a chiton genus cryptoplax, do you know where Its from? I did an experiment on a species found on the great barrier reef and it really looks like this guy! but there are few different species that look really similar

This one hitchhike in on about 250lbs of live rock from Tonga. It was the old nice Tonga kaelini to be more specific.

HTH