Ich/Coral Question????

t_j

Hi, I had a question about ich and corals. Now if a tank has a fish with ich can ich be transfored through corals to another tank??? I know ich is a fish illness but I was wondering if corals can carry it???

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
ANYTHING transferred from an infected tank can very well carry certain STAGES of the infection. Coral and "Catch" it but it could transport it to another tank. The best way to get rid of Ich is to leave a tank totally fishless for 6-8 weeks. This should take care of ALL stages of it's life cycle.

Hope this helpss. :D

goldenmean

Its not so much the corals that catch ich but the rock the coral is on can carry the parasite in its egg? or larval? stage. So when you leave your tank fallow (fish less) for 8 weeks if you add any corals you could reintroduce the parasite and your 8 week time period should start over.

This happened to Woodstock earlier this year.

t_j

Well I want to buy some corals from some one who has a fish in the same tank as the corals start showing signs of ich. Would it be wise to buy them or is there some kind of dip I can do???

goldenmean

You can buy them but keep these corals in QT for 6 weeks.
Otherwise you are playing russian roulette with ich.
you know the gun is loaded and you pull the trigger anyway

t_j

How would you set up a QT tank for SW???? I know how for FW but have never done one for SW.