Ians RSM 250 thread - better late than never.

alfaman

y6e9a9yg.jpg

umu3a3uj.jpg

yzehapa4.jpg

yre9ure3.jpg

Joeys Tank

I love the anthias!!

I am thinking about getting a Fathead Sunburst Anthias. I will definitely watch your thread to see how your's settle in.

alfaman

Oh mine are very settled, taken from the ocean, flown to uk in 48 hours, fed frozen mysis and red plankton for 10 days and put into my tank and are thriving, I have a purple male currently in quarantine to come and boss these 6 females about.

I think Anthias really do make a reef tank...

alfaman

Ok guys, I decided to take the knife to my Elos sump and cut out all the existing arrangement of glass and customise it to include a large refigium where once my RO top up storage was and also to remove what I thought was unnecessary slow flow media chamber. Also I added a weir for the refigium and a tap to reduce flow through it, this is what I started out with

adcc9a7dd756db721c28ed634d3e2435.jpg

This is what I got now.

8b796b2acebbc60f23100f2f41cf195e.jpg

ac477bd56d01316f6ca6d6b7d6f6bbd3.jpg

18808f66a02fb98a7e4388cb1055ae76.jpg

753a48e1f85059dbf785f87feb199aa0.jpg

what I have done is added a weir comb to reduce any escaping cheato although none yet and also I added extra glass to the weir to reduce bubbles and noise and it works a treat. Whilst I was there I was able to reposition the skimmer sock as this skimmer is a 3000 litre rated skimmer for a tank that has a little under 1000 litres now and also now have a place for putting my live rock rubble. What you will notice is I have blacked out the refigium side glass using aquarium rated black plastic as I wanted to avoid algae growing on anything that the 6500k LED light shined on, the below was the result.

6f67b7bd5d37981d04319d4b123506ff.jpg

For an rO top up I have plumbed RO in from else where in the house and added two taps to the tank, one for topping up my RO holding tank which is a basic 25L tub and the other tap is for me to use to fill a jug or anything else, the misses is now using it for her Iron lol. The RO set up always has approx 85 L available and when I use some it just tops it up,

So what does this mean for me? Well no more 25L tubs hanging around, no carrying of water, making water or keeping checking water every time I Am making it. If I want water now I turn the tap next to my tank and either top up my top up once a week or use some RO to clean a pump etc.

I love automation. It makes the hobby a lot less busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essex

Hi Ian, welcome to RS

Glad to see another Essex boy on the forum! I use Swallows most of the time and have visited Amwells a couple of times. There is also a new LFS in Brentwood called H2o Aquatics that you may want to take a look at if you haven't already. It's quite small bit had some fantastic corals when I visited, albeit a bit pricey.

Hello - Also in Essex. Just starting an S500. Built but no water yet!

Danreef

Can you please explain me where the tank water enter in your sump and where the return pump will be located.

Thanks
Daniel

alfaman

The tank water enters my last chamber (it's huge) it's like this from standard BTW and the return also leaves this same chamber. Although at opposite ends, the skimmer dumps directly into the flow of the return pump after it's been through the carbon, PO3 and sock, the incoming line is direct to the skimmer.

Danreef

The tank water enters my last chamber (it's huge) it's like this from standard BTW and the return also leaves this same chamber. Although at opposite ends, the skimmer dumps directly into the flow of the return pump after it's been through the carbon, PO3 and sock, the incoming line is direct to the skimmer.

Ok....so you are pumping water from the big chamber to the refugium that will over flow again in the big chamber.

If that is correct you will need to place a net all along the black overflow of the refugium. If not, macro algae will pass to the big chamber. I have seen that in my HOB refugium that overflows in the tank.

Am I correct on your design ?

Thanks
Daniel

alfaman

Yes this is correct but the flow is very slow. I'll have to keep an eye on this. What netting did you use?

Danreef

Yes this is correct but the flow is very slow. I'll have to keep an eye on this. What netting did you use?

Plastic mosquito screen for windows. I had to take it out every 2-3 weeks and clean it well. Probably the size of the net openings was not optimal.

Nice tank and the video is very well done. What camera was used for the video ? When I use my phone everything over 20 seconds is a pain to load it in photobucket. I need to learn how to do a quality video , like yours !!!

Daniel

alfaman

I just used my ipad2, it was a bit jerky, I then just uploaded it in its raw state to vimeo and posted a link to it in the forum. Thanks for the compliment though. I will keep an eye on the cheato, I don't want my pumps clogging.

Cheers