i want to scuba dive! help

Hi, I live in nepa and am really interested in scuba diving. I will be going to Florida at the end of october. Is there a good place to learn there, or should I just get certified here in pa? I was also wondering how much roughly it would cost. Any help I would greatly appreciate. My goal is to eventually get certified to become a scuba instructor. maybe evn take it further than that

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Get certified where u live. The vacation certification are weak n only good for a few days and doesn't really teach u to get comfortable under the water.

..........used coral frags. half off.

steved13

PREMIUM
+1

Also with your goal in mind, getting certified near home will help build relationships there.

As far as costs, I was certified before you were born, and I haven't been diving in a very long time.

sk8rdn

steved13 said:
+1

Also with your goal in mind, getting certified near home will help build relationships there.

As far as costs, I was certified before you were born, and I haven't been diving in a very long time.

Steve, water existed way back then? Let alone the scuba gear... :D

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

robboh

+1 to above. If the water temps are ok around where you live (eg you dont need a drysuit to dive safely) then you're better off building local relationships and doing it locally. It will provide more time for you and the instructor to ensure you are comfortable in the water and allow for extra sessions etc if required.

Typically shops will provide a 'club' of some description where you can get involved socially and also go out on dive trips. If you are intending to become a DM, and then a dive instructor, those local relationships will help considerably and your local shop may intern you.

Training costs vary, and the cheap ones tend to leave things out. EG your course costs (say) USD $100, but you have to purchase wet-suit, fins, mask, boots and hire your gear. An all-inclusive course might be a higher initial cost, but include all of those things.

I live in NZ and the typical course price here is ~$400 kiwi $ (about $320 USD at current exchange rate) for a PADI or SSI course. They typically provide dive gear except mask / snorkel / booties / fins.

There is little difference in the training between most of the recreational agencies. Course run by agencies like GUE and other more tech-orientated agencies tend to be smaller classes, longer and more intense instruction (commonly by more experienced divers/instructors) and typically requiring demonstration of higher skill levels to pass than for the rec agencies. But, conversely, you will pay substantially more for that style of course and may end up being taught things which will not sit well with you later if you subsequently go through recreational agency training to be a recreational instructor.

HTH

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A local course here in Western North Carolina (way up in the Blue Ridge Mountains) will run around $350 and that's a 6 week intensive course consisting of pool time and some awesome open water diving at the end of the course. I highly suggest going local and getting the full class. As mentioned above "Resort" courses leave a little.. no a LOT to be desired and remember... your life may well depend on your training.... not worth the risk to save a few $$ IMHO :)

N83259

I agree with robbo, but would like to offer a different perspective on a few points.

Here is another option. FL, especially the Keys, has more dive shops offering full certification courses than beer stores. If you have the time & inclination you can get a full, good course there and come home fully certified. But you have to spend part of your precious vacation time doing the book and pool work while on vacation, while you could be bikini watching, fishing or drinking silly tropical cocktails.

A hybrid approach is to do the course work and pool work locally, taking your time, developing contacts and learning about equipment you might buy in the future. Then independently or with the local shops recommendation, do your "certification" dives in the sunny, hospitable Florida waters instead of a local dark, cold, scary quarry in Pennsylvania. The major agencies like PADI & NAUI can help set this up. I've seen several SCUBA students never dive again after their first and only underwater experience in a quarry or a trip to the turbulent, cloudy Atlantic Ocean. These dives can wait until you get some more experience and the operation of your equipment becomes second nature. Making your first open water dives in a quarry is like learning to ride a horse and the outfitter starts you out with you stallion with an attitude problem. Why not make the whole thing as enjoyable as possible? Keep in mind that if you ask the local shop about this point, they may vey well dismiss it as "no big deal" since they do it all the time, and have a financial interest in selling you a full course.

BTW, a resort course is OK as long as the instructors are not incompetent (seen this in some developing countries)....if all you have is a short time, as you will get some pool training, the dive will be shallow and the instructor will be right next to you. Just keep in mind that you are not "certified" and can not dive independently anywhere else or with another dive master with a resort course. Good luck with whichever way you go!

bmplank86

Here is another option. FL, especially the Keys, has more dive shops offering full certification courses than beer stores.

Well we know where Matt won't be training at haha

Life motto: "No rain, no rainbow"

In looking in to it for my daughters (and for me to get re-certified) I discovered that PADI now allows you to do most of the coursework online and then just do the classwork/wet work at a dive center. It should make it possible for you to do all the coursework before your trip and then hit a PADI facility here in FL for the open water dives.

robboh

A hybrid approach is to do the course work and pool work locally, taking your time, developing contacts and learning about equipment you might buy in the future. Then independently or with the local shops recommendation, do your "certification" dives in the sunny, hospitable Florida waters instead of a local dark, cold, scary quarry in Pennsylvania. The major agencies like PADI & NAUI can help set this up. I've seen several SCUBA students never dive again after their first and only underwater experience in a quarry or a trip to the turbulent, cloudy Atlantic Ocean. These dives can wait until you get some more experience and the operation of your equipment becomes second nature. Making your first open water dives in a quarry is like learning to ride a horse and the outfitter starts you out with you stallion with an attitude problem. Why not make the whole thing as enjoyable as possible?
+1
This is a good idea!! Do your cert dives in a nice environment if u can. A nice bright sunny dive can do wonders for ur dive and confidence vs a quarry or silty lake.
By the way, I originally learnt to dive in Fiji with a local instructor. But I was there for a week and I was happy to dedicate most of the week to the course as I was there with the in-laws :)

Oxylebius

From all the posts above, it sounds like you have several options to look into. A few phone calls in your area and in the area you will vacation at, can help you decide what will work best for you, but I have to agree that the hybrid approach may work out the best, particularly if you don't already have a dive buddy in mind for your vacation. Diving with the local shops in FL to complete your cert would be easier for you to be paired up with a buddy then if you were planning on going on vacation w/out a buddy. Being the only diver in group of people going on vacation does have its difficulties...yes local shops will try to pair you up with anyone else in need of a buddy, and sometimes you can triple-up on a dive, but in this case the hybrid approach for a cert described in the post above sounds like the best option.

Even I am interested in scuba diving,but bit scare of water.

Try to see if you can do a 'try' dive somewhere. Some holiday resorts will have this option. You are not shelling out for a course then, only to discover that you hate it.

If you are a bit scared of water.....diving is nothing like swimming. It is extremely relaxing.

I used to mainly dive in the Maldives, but haven't been for a few years now. The wife is ill and can't go to a hot climate or in the sun at home, here in England. Miss the diving, though.

I am not certified but have been on 4 dives in the past 5 years while in Mexico and the Dominican Republic. These were at resorts where they train you in the pool. I had very little problem in the open water. My main problem is my ears and nose bleeds. I have the hardest time equalizing the pressure in my ears. I think I end up trying so hard to equalize that I burst blood vessels in my nose.

Diving is the easy part. The hard part is sitting on the boat waiting for everyone to get in after 45 minutes underwater I chum the water every time. Saltwater makes me throw up every time.

Like others said, if you go the resort route and don't certify, you will be limited to 10 meter dives. Basically 30-40 feet. Plenty for me since I only dive once a year. If that much.

Matt