I want to change the Skimmer in my RSM C250

nautchilous

Good day mates. I was wondering if any of guys and gals know of any aftermarket Skimmers that would fit in the sump of a RSM C250. My stock unit is on the fritz. A guy on here as the Otopus BH50. My only concern is that it is only rated up to 50gallons. I current have 7 livestock, couple shrimps a crab and snails. My cabinet is all used up with my ATO resovouir and power supply for my LEDs.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I think this one would be one I would consider too, the rating is close enough that I would consider the Octopus BH50.

DaveK

... A guy on here as the Otopus BH50. My only concern is that it is only rated up to 50gallons. ...

This is a real consideration. Skimmer manufacturers tend to, well let's say be very optimistic, when it comes to the skimmers rating. Generally I'd recommend a skimmer rated for a tank that is about twice the size of the tank you plan to run it on. In other words, for a 50 gal tank, you want a skimmer rated for about a 100 gal tank. If the manufacturer gives you a range like for a 50-75 gal tank, always use the lower number in your calculations.

You do have one other consideration. Any new skimmer needs to fit in the existing skimmers footprint, so check those dimensions carefully.

nautchilous

This is a real consideration. Skimmer manufacturers tend to, well let's say be very optimistic, when it comes to the skimmers rating. Generally I'd recommend a skimmer rated for a tank that is about twice the size of the tank you plan to run it on. In other words, for a 50 gal tank, you want a skimmer rated for about a 100 gal tank. If the manufacturer gives you a range like for a 50-75 gal tank, always use the lower number in your calculations.

You do have one other consideration. Any new skimmer needs to fit in the existing skimmers footprint, so check those dimensions carefully.

Thanks Dave spoken like a true fish Jedi Master . I was just hoping to find a skimmer that would fit in my current sump. I was trying to avoid putting one in my lower cabinet because I have two small reactors and a ATO resovouir already taking up that space.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
With the RSM AIO back sump, that is the key... finding one that will fit that will do a better job... of all the post in the RSM Club there is not a lot of choices for the RSM 250.

I would guess... 95% of the owners run stock, For most running stock they seem to post the stock skimmer does from okay.

I run stock ... mine pulls a lot of thick stinky skimmate from the neck & a collection cup full of green wet skimmate weekly, but I still rate it as "okay"... would love to change it out for something that fits & works much better, but not sure that exist at any cost.

mike1970

We just put in a tunze 9004. It fits great and hardly any noise. We replaced the deltec mc500 which had an unbalanced rotor. So far so good (rsm250) [emoji106]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Is this skimmer working better than deltec mc500?

relexus

Don't know yet. Hopefully we can put in salt water this weak. We made this choice because replacing a rotor on the deltec cost about the same as the tunze 9004. It sure is nice and quiet. We wanted to get the technics in order before putting in live rock and salt water.

mike1970

Keep us posted I have the deltec it works pretty good, but I don't know if it's any better than the stock skimmer

relexus

What i have been told, it is better then the stock skimmer. I'll keep you posted on the tunze 9004. I'm new in this world and we bought a used tank with the deltec already installed. What they told me is that the deltec is one of the best. For a rsm250 that is.

Try You Tube and search for tunze 9004. Or deltec mc500. [emoji6]

nautchilous

What i have been told, it is better then the stock skimmer. I'll keep you posted on the tunze 9004. I'm new in this world and we bought a used tank with the deltec already installed. What they told me is that the deltec is one of the best. For a rsm250 that is.

Try You Tube and search for tunze 9004. Or deltec mc500. [emoji6]

Will the Tunze fit in the RSM C250

relexus

Will the Tunze fit in the RSM C250
Yup it does.
519b9ec83677a77e76da4b0562753b4f.jpg

Even got space left for one more hahahahaha. And it will consume 4 watts. And you connect it with the famous tunze magnets.

nautchilous

Sweet. Do you think it's a better skimmer than the stock unit? By the way can you still close the back lid with the Tunze? How is the noise compared to the stock unit?

relexus

Sweet. Do you think it's a better skimmer than the stock unit? By the way can you still close the back lid with the Tunze? How is the noise compared to the stock unit?
I don't have any experience with the stock skimmer. But what i've read is that most people replace the stock skimmer. And yes you can close the lid of the tank with the tunze in it. About the noise compared with the stock skimmer, no clue. But i hardly hear it. If you place it well, the skimmer does not hit any walls of the sump, you mount it with the magnets on the glass. And the magnets have rubber feet. My hood fans make more noise then the skimmer. [emoji6]

Rini

Yup it does.
519b9ec83677a77e76da4b0562753b4f.jpg

Even got space left for one more hahahahaha. And it will consume 4 watts. And you connect it with the famous tunze magnets.

Just to be sure, is this an picture of a rsm c250 or a 250? As far i know the sump with the c250 is à bit smaller as the 250. I have an c250 and this picture looks different as how mine sump looks.

Btw mine c250 has stock skimmer and yes it make noise. :) not that bad that we want another skimmer.

relexus

Just to be sure, is this an picture of a rsm c250 or a 250? As far i know the sump with the c250 is à bit smaller as the 250. I have an c250 and this picture looks different as how mine sump looks.

Btw mine c250 has stock skimmer and yes it make noise. :) not that bad that we want another skimmer.

It's a rsm 250, inside of the sump is about 9.5 cm wide. I don't know how wide the sump is in a c250.

These are the dimensions of the tunze
Dimensions: L110 x W90 x H305 mm
So if your sump is wider then 9 cm it should be no problem.

Rini

I tried to measure it up this morning. I think it would be an risky operation. It seems on the inside very close to 9cm wide (90mm), perhaps a few more mm. It is a bit hard to measure since we have an dining table close to it. So had to measure from the front.
Inside the sump where the skimmer is located on the glass are some sort of edges where the stock skimmer fits in. It glide down in this. (can't find the right words, sorry).
I found an picture and marked it red. No idea if this can be removed easily.
This consume another few mm. I would check if other people have experience with this skimmer in the C-250.
Or try it out, if not fitting return it.

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-17 om 08.55.10.png