I think my tank is in trouble...

screemer

I just can't seem to get my head around the tank. After the last problem, I changed salt, new lights, extra flow and switched to CPE and Puerigen. Everything was fine until recently. I've had another outbreak of hair algae, the new sand is badly covered, and corals are looking poor. I did my recent tests last night, and alkalinity is down to 4?????? Why is this? I presume this is causing the problems? nitrates are at 0.25 and Phosphates are 0.16. Any help greatly appreciated.

screemer

I just topped up my existing sand using live sand 2 months ago, same time as all the other changes. The hair algae has been over the past few weeks.

Mischko

Raise alkalinity but not at once! Up 2 dKH a day until you reached the recommended level, better just 1 dKh a day. Check your PH, too. Is your skimmer properly skimming? Kind of doubt it since Alk is so low.

Mischko

If I got it right you changed the sand about 2 months ago along with the salt and all was running ok for, let's say, 6 weeks and then the algae started to grow, right? Skimmer isn't really skimming as expected, you added extra flow and replaced the bulbs or did you get another lighting system?

First, if you can get them and of course, can spare the money, get 4-6 Mexican Turbos and 2 Strombus to keep the gravel clean. Don't mind me, you CUC doens't look of having an 'algae fetish'.
Then check your Ph, I am sure it's down, too. Ph value and a skimmer working properly is something which is forgotten at times.

Mischko

Well, get the alk on a proper level anyways to help buffer Ph. Are you sure your test kits work properly on the Nitrate and Phosphate levels? There must be a source of nutritions in your tank for them then.

screemer

i seem to have had a source for algae ever since i started the tank 15 months ago.

Seriously considering shutting it down

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Steve - might try adding about 30 more snails to cuc ...

Here ReefCleaners (John's company, very highly respected here in the states) recommendation:
Quick Crew (34 RSM)

47 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

12 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

15 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

8 Large & 9 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
It will all be fine just give more time. Algae tends to come n go. It simply gets more red over time. Patience my friend.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

reefer gladness

i seem to have had a source for algae ever since i started the tank 15 months ago.

Just a thought but have you replaced the lights since you started the tank? At 15 months I would be getting ready to replace the bulbs a second time already (every 6-9 months). How many hours a day are the lights on? Reducing the time the lights are on could have a large effect on algae growth.

Doing weekly water changes?

slim69m

what hrs are your lights running and what types/color spectrum are the bulbs? I had the same problem with my tank. Solved it by running only atinics for a week and shortening my light schedule from 12 hrs to 8 hrs a day.

ausreef

a falling alkalinity reading is a sign of "tired" water,in the old days it was called pH reserve,you can buffer it but until you get to the source of the problem the results will be temporary at best

fortunately the problem is easy to rectify,water changes,start with a 25% water change and carry out 3 at 2 days apart then religiously carry out a 20% water change every week,this is mandatory in such a small system and there is no products or chemicals that replace the need for water changes,once you have a system going it will only take a few minutes a week

screemer

I have my lights on for 8 hours a day, I changed the bulbs a few months ago. I always use the proper RSM ones. I have done a 13 litre water change every week for the past 15 months, never missed one.

GregT

Hi screemer,

I had a bad problem with GHA that kept returning and resolved this only by switching to the Zeovit system and products. It's a simple IMO process to reduce Po4 and resulting GHA.
Prior to this I was jumping all over the place using different products and regimes trying to fix the issue. Also better at keeping my water parameters stable too.
There's a few with RSM tanks using this and the tanks are stunners.
cheers Greg

screemer

i am struggling to work out why my Alkalinity is so low, no matter what salt i use. Is it something that gets used up in the tank, or is it something that isnt there in the 1st place?