I think I might have whacked my clown

Stalwart

NO this is not a euphamism.

I was turkey basting my rocks (not a euphamism either) and I might have blasted my clown inadvertantly. He is laying on the bottom in the back of the tank, breathing heavily. Before he stopped swimming he was swimming kinda weird and did a barrel roll and kind of a pieroet on his nose kinda move.

Anyone ever blow their fish by mistake. (see above)

Water Params are fine

I just checked on him again he is upright, still not swimming, and still panting

Gina

RS STAFF
Was he perfectly fine before he was blasted with the water from the baster?
I wouldn't think that the amount of water that comes from that would do any harm?

Stalwart

WooHoo, he is back to swimming. My monster hermit decided to pay him a visit while he was sitting still and he is swimming again. He is still panting pretty heavily though

boozeman

I know this is a serious post...but it just had me ROFLMAO...and will refrain from further comment

Stalwart

Yeah booze, I deal with adversity through humor. Its ok to laugh. Besides he looks like he is doing better, I must have stunned him with a blast of water.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
If he is panting, your disolved oxygen could be very low or he could have a gill disease/parasite. What is the temp of the tank water? Warmer water holds less oxygen. Do you have plenty of water surface movement? Plenty of flow in the tank?

Stalwart

All of the above Woody.
Plenty of flow
temp 79
lots of surface movement

I dont know what my disolved oxygen level is, but I dont think that is the problem. The other fish are all breathing normal. He was fine right before I blew the rocks off with the turkey baster.

I think I just traumatized him a bit. He is looking much better, breathing has slowed some and he is hovering off of the bottom now.

Gina

RS STAFF
I'll have to be alittle more careful when I'm in the tank with the baster.
I was gonna say something else but, this is a family forum!! LOL

Stalwart

The little guy seems to be all better. He is swimming and eating normally.

It must have been a trauma related issue.

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated. :thumbup:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Glad your clown is better now. It seems you shocked him good with the blast. I still don't know why people use them things in the tank. I syphon my rocks off with a 3/4 tubing into a micron bag in the sump. This way i don't loose water and dont trash the tank while cleaning it. Blasting the dirt off the rocks dose not get it out of the tank. It all settles over time with just what went over the ovrflow getting out. And then you have to clean the filter pads or what ever your useing. Vacuming the rocks into a micron bag seems more logical to me and works great.

lcstorc

I suck the yuk out of the rocks with the baster instead of blasting it into the water.
I also use the hose sometimes with a vacuum attachment to suck the stuff off of the rocks when doing a water change.