I one day wish to have a clam

I have a 55 gal reef with 215 W T5 lighting. I would love to get a clam one day in the future. I understand that any SPS would have to be placed high up and probably would grow very slowly. Is it possible in my tank?

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yes it is possible! There are Red Sea Max owners with only 230w T5 lighting and their clams are thriving after 1 year. Find a nice spot higher up, closer to the lights. Growth may be slower, but they should survive no problem. Of course, perfect water quality is a must. :D Try it and see...

But others here will disagree....

Last edited:

cbrownfish

Are you running individual reflectors on the T5 bulbs? That makes a significant difference when running T5's as a primary light source. In general, T5's begin to lose intensity at ~20" of depth. Keeping clams under T5's is fine as long as you consider keeping them in a shallowish tank or higher up in a deeper tank.

No I don't have IDR's but I'm sure I can fix that one day. The tank is only a 55 gal and so about 18" deep. I was planning on putting the clam closer to the lights.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No I don't have IDR's but I'm sure I can fix that one day. The tank is only a 55 gal and so about 18" deep. I was planning on putting the clam closer to the lights.

Yes you should be able to upgrade them to some VERY nice IDR's. It depends on what your current set-up is but I'm confident you'll LOVE going to IDR's.