I need some advice...

JJB103

I posted on another forum about my mushrooms not opening up all the way and I changed them to the lower level of the tank and they are doing a little better but not all the way opened up. I bought a test kit for magnesium, alkalinity and calcium yesterday. Here are all my test results.

Ph- 8.0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
Calcium- 510ppm
Magnesium- 1600ppm
Alkalinity- Meq/L- 5.0 dKH- 14.0

Is anything wrong here? I had my anthias mysteriously die this morning with no previous signs of stress. The rest of the fish and inverts are perfectly fine.

ddinox64

I'm not too technical. Rarely test my water. Are these new mushrooms or just started acting different?
I bought two mushrooms. Red and purple sitting in a plastic cup at a LFS. Both were about the size of a quarter. Placed them in my tank at the same level just about and several inches away from each other. Purple one is about four inches wide now and the red might still be a quarter size. Moved it close to the purple with no change. So I just figure that's it.
I have never been able to keep Anthias. Candy canes either. How long have you had the Anthias?
Judge the tank on a whole. If you let every little thing worry you. You'll find yourself struggling and not enjoying the hobby.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Your calc and alk are on the high end but should be ok. Your tank is new and you still have some algae going on (I checked your other thread). I would put the shooms on the sand and just relax. It's likely they are just getting used to your system is all. Your water is going to be a little different than the water where you got them from. Shrooms are pretty hardy.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
New tank syndrome. Time and regular water changes are your best pal here.

..........rarely am I speechless

steved13

PREMIUM
Are you dosing anything? Calc, Alk, and Mag are all high. +1 they will probably adjust, but you want to keep your water stable and within parameters.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Are you dosing anything? Calc, Alk, and Mag are all high. +1 they will probably adjust, but you want to keep your water stable and within parameters.

I agree with Steve those #'s are very high not surprised the mushrooms weren't very happy. The Anthias generally are not an easy fish to keep they require frequent feedings and a mature stable tank for long term success.

JJB103

Ya I dosed the tank once with an all in one supplement and an iron supplement to help my Chaeto grow.which it did work for that.