I need a fish!

Pat24601

Along similar lines, I love my Midas Blenny. He's so cute. The reason I didn't bring him up is he often hangs out in his chosen hole half sticking out (like an eel) and you wanted something active all over your tank. He does get out and go for swims, but more often hangs out.

Great fish, though. A lot of character.

My 4 year old neighbor kid thinks he's an eel.

image.jpg

This is mine in his hole.

image.jpg

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15 23 83&pcatid=83&ref=4395&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-B-4395&t=1

Last edited:

Oxylebius

There are many other basslets and dottybacks that you can get, it doesn't have to be the royal gramma. Now I didn't look at size or fish needs here. You will have to do some research to make sure they are a good fit. Just go to liveaquaria, click on marine fish, then down the left side of the page are groups of fish in alphabetical order. Most basslets and dottybacks stay small and will swim around. Below are a few I randomly grabbed and posted b/c their colors are great!

th-90097-gold-assessor.jpg
th-72303-black-cap-basslet.jpg
th-88793-macneills-assessor.jpg

th-72394-pseudochromis.jpg
th-86356-pseudochromis.jpg
th-90004-pseudochromis.jpg

whip

You bring up a good point; I should not get something just for the sake of getting something. I am going to use that concept for corals too.

Pat24601

You bring up a good point; I should not get something just for the sake of getting something. I am going to use that concept for corals too.

For whatever reason, I'm a bit "looser" on buying coral than fish. I think that's both because they don't carry a bio load so I'm not as limited by room as I am with fish. Also, because if I don't like something it's not a giant pita to get it out of the tank.

I still try not to buy just anything and wait for the good pieces (a lesson I learned in my first year), but if I see something I like ill take a chance on it without as much research as with fish.

whip

There are many other basslets and dottybacks that you can get, it doesn't have to be the royal gramma. Now I didn't look at size or fish needs here. You will have to do some research to make sure they are a good fit. Just go to liveaquaria, click on marine fish, then down the left side of the page are groups of fish in alphabetical order. Most basslets and dottybacks stay small and will swim around. Below are a few I randomly grabbed and posted b/c their colors are great!

th-90097-gold-assessor.jpg
th-72303-black-cap-basslet.jpg
th-88793-macneills-assessor.jpg

th-72394-pseudochromis.jpg
th-86356-pseudochromis.jpg
th-90004-pseudochromis.jpg

I wish I could like this times two! I like the basslet family (possibly a Royal). I think this is the direction I might end up going.

1. The price point is there. I don't really have a problem dropping some coin on a fish, but my main thing is dropping some coin on a fish and it goes belly up.

2. It has color.

3. It can be kept in a nano tank.

4. It uses the rock work.

5. It's friendly.

blazend

So heres my input you may have different results just from the fish i have owned.

Royal Gamma and Fire fish dont truly use the rock work until the lights go out they are not fish that preach on the rock work like others.

Some fish i call preachers or cave dwellers, using the rock to sit on to see what your doing or just to hang out in.

I love Gobys. So many are so cool but they seem to like sand substrate.
Blennys i think are very similar but don't always need substrate but dont seem to get along with other gobies or blennys.

Clown Goby i think is what your looking for mine always sat on the rocks and looked back at me. Also there is a green clown goby and im a huge fan of the citrus clown gobys which are yellow.

Delareef123

Hey Whip, my LFS had a couple of Pygmy wrasses. They seemed interesting but didn't tickle me the right way. I also agree with you on the fire fish. In fact when I pointed out to my wife she said "I don't like the way they swim" HA!

I was looking into the 6 line wrasse because they are very colorful BUT the chance of me getting a super aggressive one has turned me off as well.

I will say that the blenny I have is AWESOME. So far he has been good with the corals. If I had the chance to get another blenny I would have gotton the Midas Blenny.

I have the following on my wish list

• Pearly Jawfish
  • Yellow Rose Antenna Goby or
  • Watchman Goby (obviously Gobies wont work in your bare bottom tank)
  • Leopard Wrasse (although I hear they are hit and miss with survival) or
  • Fairy Wrasse or
  • Flasher Wrasse
  • Flame Angel (a maybe)
  • Potter Angel (a maybe)

whip

You guys rock!:cheers:

Based a lot on the information you guys (and gals) have provided, I have made a decision:

1. Royal Gramma - Turns out the LFS a few miles away has on on hand (see photo they sent me below).

2. Pygmy Wrasse - The same fish store was going to order me one, but found out it was their suppliers last one and they suggested I wait until they get more in as it isn't wise to take a supplier's last one because it is usually the worst. So... I just have to wait a bit.

Delareef123

Sweet whip. I love my LFS (plural ) and i know what to use them for. I have one that focuses on corals and another on fish. My advice would be to go to the LFS and watch the gramma for a real long time. Like an hour. Then ask the owner to feed him. If he acts the way he should and eats then you should be golden . I also agrèe with what your LfS said about the last fish. Not a good call. Looking forward to seeing the new basslet in your tank.

Delareef123

Since we are on the topic of selecting fish from our LFS. .... the guy i go to for corals has an impeccable shop. He happens to also be a lover of lepord wrasse. He has over a dozen in the many "display " only tanks and they are beautiful.
He had agreed to try and catch a small one for me as he knows i am gonna be a repeat customer. His price is 2x what you would see else where but these buggers are known to have a 50/50 survival rate in aquariums. This stock has been in his tanks from 3 months to 5 years. So he is willing to guarantee their success.

Any hoo. You all know what i am adding next. And having a good reputable LFS is a wonderful thing to have in our hobby.:)

whip

Sweet whip. I love my LFS (plural ) and i know what to use them for. I have one that focuses on corals and another on fish. My advice would be to go to the LFS and watch the gramma for a real long time. Like an hour. Then ask the owner to feed him. If he acts the way he should and eats then you should be golden . I also agrèe with what your LfS said about the last fish. Not a good call. Looking forward to seeing the new basslet in your tank.

I shall use your advice and request a feeding session while I am present. As always, thanks for the help!

whip

Since we are on the topic of selecting fish from our LFS. .... the guy i go to for corals has an impeccable shop. He happens to also be a lover of lepord wrasse. He has over a dozen in the many "display " only tanks and they are beautiful.
He had agreed to try and catch a small one for me as he knows i am gonna be a repeat customer. His price is 2x what you would see else where but these buggers are known to have a 50/50 survival rate in aquariums. This stock has been in his tanks from 3 months to 5 years. So he is willing to guarantee their success.

Any hoo. You all know what i am adding next. And having a good reputable LFS is a wonderful thing to have in our hobby.:)

Wow. The Leopard Wrasse is insanely cool!

I read on Live Aquaria that they were "expert only", but in the description, they didn't hint why.

If you get one, I can't wait to see the pics. That think is sweet and a seriously cool looking fish!

image.jpg

whip

How about a Blenny?

I used to have a Lawnmower Blenny and wasn't a big fan, so I discounted them right off the bat. Your post just caused me to look at all the different types available and my eyes were opened to an interesting group of fish that I had never considered. I was surprised with all the color available. Nice. Thanks for the input. The list might have to get modified yet again! :ponder2:

whip

Along similar lines, I love my Midas Blenny. He's so cute. The reason I didn't bring him up is he often hangs out in his chosen hole half sticking out (like an eel) and you wanted something active all over your tank. He does get out and go for swims, but more often hangs out.

Great fish, though. A lot of character.

My 4 year old neighbor kid thinks he's an eel.

View attachment 42735

This is mine in his hole.

View attachment 42736

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15 23 83&pcatid=83&ref=4395&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-B-4395&t=1

Pat,

That photo of your Blenny poking his head out of the hole is classic. What an awesome photo-op you captured!

StirCrayzy

There are 2-3 very similar pygmy wrasses that show up on LA/DD . 2 of them are under $50, the other is $70ish, and I don't know why.
I bought a white striped pygmy possom wrasse ($50) from DD two years ago, and still doing great. They hunt on the rocks constantly much like a mandarin, but take prepared/frozen food routinely. Mine is very acrobatic swimming through the rockwork, and if you are in the market still I would highly recommend.