I need a better way to attach corals!!

Ratpack

I am over the two part epoxy. Superglue gel works OK, but since my rock is seasoned and has algae and all kinds of other things on it, it does stick real well. I can deal with it for faster encrusting coral that will attach themselves , but some are slower growers so I want something that is a little more permanent and sticks really well, mainly when attaching plugs. I usually cut the protruding piece off so it is flat. Anyone have suggestions?

DaveK

What kind of corals are you trying to attach?

Generally no matter what coral your working with, you need to have a clean place on the rock you want to attach it. If it's encrusted with algae or coraline algae, clean where you want to put the coral with a toothbrush or even a stainless steel wire brush first. Then use the superglue gel.

I prefer not to use the plug and would break the coral off the plug and attach it to the rock I wanted it on. Think of the plug as a temporary holding rock until you get the coral up to size.

Ratpack

If the frag is new and just attached to the plug, I agree with you. I typically just break those away and reglue. The ones that have started to encrust the plug is the ones I use the plug.

Steve L

I use the epoxy paste sticks and they work great for me. But I have live rock that looks like swiss cheese and is full of pockets and holes. I've never had to glue something to a flat smooth surface.

By the way, Fluval recently came out with their version of the epoxy sticks. Don't waste your money. They turn bleach white, and make your skimmer go nuts for about a week, or until you do a big water change to get the chemicals out of your water column.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You'll want to scrape as best you can the surfaces you're wanting to bond (plug base and rock) and then use the Epoxy in combination with Super Glue Gel. Gel sets up fast to get an initial bond while the epoxy cures to complete the bond.