I have a question about Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix

Badinfo

my LFS uses this Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix to sell their saltwater. I was wondering is there enough minerals and such to keep healthy sps and others corals. do i need to add something. My other fish store sells fish only saltwater and reef saltwater but i had bad experience with their water so im going to this new store.
THanks

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have done great with the instant ocean and regular water changes. However I do occasionally add calcium and some reef suppliments and its helped with hard coral growth.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

Badinfo

like add it reef suppliments like once a month after a water change? i usually do water changes 1-2 weeks. Which reef suppliment do you recommend

dmatt88

2011-08-05_17-25-20_499.jpg

Kent does me fine yet I have only used a few. I dose every few weeks. Buy a good test kit and that will help you decide where help is needed. Matt

dmatt88

Also if money is no object instant ocean rolled out a new reef salt. Its 20$ more for the 5 gallon bucket so I haven't tried it. Good luck

dmatt88

2011-08-04_21-37-57_460.jpg

This little fella took off after I started the calcium.

jpsika08

Agree with Dmatt88, salt will not replenish all consumed elements in the water, you have to keep a weekly or daily routine to supplement Calcium, Alk and Magnesium, you can use products as Kent Tech Part A and B for calcium and alk which both of these are and for magnesium Kent Tech M.

Measuring these elements is crucial to know whether or not keep dosing.

Also, I have used IO but Reef Crystals which IMHO is better for Corals than the normal IO.

Good Luck.

Lotus

From all of the research that I have done over the years, it still seems to be the standard.