i gots bubbles on top of my sandbed?

rDr4g0n

just wondering if anyone knows why i have bubbles in my sandbed. there doesnt seem to be any algae around them... so i dunno what could be makin them? theyre very clearly air bubbles (not like velonia bubbles or anything)

bubblesinsand.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
or cyano, judging by the pinkness around the sand(yikes!) did this start with the new lights??

rDr4g0n

or cyano, judging by the pinkness around the sand(yikes!) did this start with the new lights??

well the pinkishness goes in and out... i assumed it was diatoms. the bubbles were NEVER there until i added the actinics. i can also see bubbles in the sandbed against the glass. i dont think its cyano though...

any idea as to how to treat it?

rDr4g0n

ya i got the extra powerhead circulating around the bottom of the tank. i still wanna know whats going on? anyone else vote anaerobic bacteria?

onix

If you are using DSB, the bublles maybe are just Nitrogen Gas. This is a good thinks because means that you have a denitrificator in your sand. Just be sure to have good flow to make this bubles up

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have to agree it very well could be nitrogen gas. In my tank here in my office it goes through spells of these and I just ignore them. One day bubbles here and there and in a day or so they are all gone.

Allen

rDr4g0n

i suspected that it may be my DSB doing its job, but i just never saw any mention of dsb's forming bubbles, so i was worried.

so inspector bob, this case is CLOSED! *loud book closing sound*

Cougra

Hmm, I'm not convinced they are nitrogen bubbles produced from anaerobic bacteria. Do they appear at all times or do they only appear when the lights are on? Anaerobic bacteria isn't photosynthetic, so if the bubble only appear when the lights are on then it will most likely be something else producing the gas.

rDr4g0n

ok these have never ever been in my tank. the only change i have made is the addition of my new lighting. the bubbles appeared the next day, which seems to means it didnt really correspond with the lighting (too fast?).

everything else is same ol same ol. levels are all just fine. i can see the bubbles on top of the sand bed as well as some under the sand against the glass. like i said these just started appearing a day or 2 ago.

Warnberg

Stop feeding the tank beans..... LOL

Actually I see bubbles coming from my DSB every evening, they do not get trapped like that so yeah you may have a little something growing and trapping the bubbles.

rDr4g0n

Stop feeding the tank beans..... LOL

Actually I see bubbles coming from my DSB every evening, they do not get trapped like that so yeah you may have a little something growing and trapping the bubbles.

visually they do not appear trapped. its more like the bubbles have not grown large enough to become buoyant enough to overpower the friction of being held in the sand bed and float away. its science.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Try to get a good look before the lights come on, my tank did that after I added MH's for a while then it stopped, before lights there were no bubbles then after an hour they would start