i got a hydor koralia 4... is it enough?

althea2you

or will i need 2? i have a 90g standard AGA... i was thinking i would need 2, one on each side... but if the 4 is powerful enough for just 1 in this size i will stay at one. i just got it for x-mas... but anyways... if it depends on what im havingi my tank.. it will be a mix.. some softies, some lps, MOSTLY sps

the flow rate is 1200 gph...

so when i had power heads in mind, i was thinking i would have one on the right aimed at the back of the tank to push the water to the left, and then have another power head on the left aimed at the front of the tank to push the water right... for a good circulation of water... are the 4's too powerful for a 90 to have 2? thanks in advance!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think you're describing EXACTLY what I am planning for my 90g. I want to have 2 #4's facing each other but I'll be running them on a wave maker.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Flow is one of those things that takes "Trial & Error" to get it right and many people are always "tweaking" it all the time. I can't say that's the "Right" number of power heads only that's my idea of what I am going to START with. I'm still a couple of weeks out so I will probably change my mind like 23X *lol*

DrHank

Two on a wavemaker is definitely the way to go in a 90. I had pump 3 in my 110 and would have gotten another if I hadn't gotten a bigger tank. The pump #3 carried about 2/3 of the way across the tank before the flow dropped off.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sarah what wave-maker are you planning? It needs to have "soft-start" for these power heads to not be noisy... or so I hear.. my controller has soft-start.

althea2you

Al, i hear ya!!! i wont be doing anything with this tank for awhile.. so i have have time to check out!!! i have changed my mind a couple time about things... like the fuge and how i want it set up... blah blah... my husband is like,... TODAY!! lets make a decision and DO it already!!! LOL

Hi Hank! thanks!! sounds like the 4's will be just right then... for a good med. to high current. think the round about flow method is good? or is there another way that is better? just curious... i havn't seen that on here... should have a poll or something.. in which direction do you have your power heads facing?! LOL

DrHank

It's going to change from tank to tank. A lot will have to do with how you have everything set up in your tank. I wound up having to bank mine off the front glass like I was playing pool. You may have to wind up changing some of the corals positions too. It's mostly trial and error.

fish wilson

if the tank isnt set up i would prob add about three holes or five and do a closed loop in the back. get a dart 3600 gph and plumb into. that will give you 900 gph per hole. take the 2 bottom holes run locline under your rock work, now you can face the bottom one,s in opposite dir. add loc line to the other 2 holes. with one inch overflows you can get about 600 gph each total 1200 thats over the 10% turnover, then add 2 returns with a 1000 gal pump from the sump. your total tank turnover will be around 64 times per hr, with no internal powerheads. thanks fish

DrHank

That would certainly give you quite some turnover. Your entire tank volume in less than one second. Gosh, I hope your fish can swim fast.

reefman420

in my 75 i have a 4 and a mj1200 on sureflow kits,and a 900 on the back on a flow deflector.Its crazy flow and all my sps love it

althea2you

Sarah what wave-maker are you planning? It needs to have "soft-start" for these power heads to not be noisy... or so I hear.. my controller has soft-start.

well... i just saw you posted this before i put my last post in! :p sorry!! ok... i want to get an aqua controller jr... isnt that what you have?

althea2you

if the tank isnt set up i would prob add about three holes or five and do a closed loop in the back. get a dart 3600 gph and plumb into. that will give you 900 gph per hole. take the 2 bottom holes run locline under your rock work, now you can face the bottom one,s in opposite dir. add loc line to the other 2 holes. with one inch overflows you can get about 600 gph each total 1200 thats over the 10% turnover, then add 2 returns with a 1000 gal pump from the sump. your total tank turnover will be around 64 times per hr, with no internal powerheads. thanks fish

wow,.. thats quite involved! thanks fish! that would require drilling my tank right? ill look into it and see what putting a closed loop involves

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes I have the AC Jr. I may leave that on the 10g and buy another controller for the 90g. Either way it WILL be a Neptune AquaController:)

DrHank

I have an AC II at home and just got done setting up a Jr with a Direct Connect 8 at a friends. The Jr is a breeze to set up. The factory (default) settings were fine for my friend. The only thing that I see the AC II has over the Jr is an ORP probe. Unless you're running a Calcium reactor, I think the Jr is the way to go.

The AC III on the other hand can completely control everything on multiple tanks with seperate pH and ORP probes on each one. I know now why they quit making the AC II.

fish wilson

its actually very simple, now heres a key get an ocean motion and plumb into closed loop, get version # 2 or 3 what this will do is alternate between 2 holes at a time, now you dont have to have full bore flow just splice in shutoffs in the lines and close them off how ever you wish. if you have some softys put them on the side with the less flow, but if your going to do sps they do better in higher flow. now if your going to have fish, with this much turnover it will lower your bio load. as far as your sump i would prob have your 1st chamber with rock rubble and a sock, chamber #2 your skimmer that way it will pick up most of the nastys 1st. plumb from the ports of your skimmer to the next chamber ( refuge) have a good macro, it will pick up whats left over. it will then go to your return.any questions give me a hollar.fish