Hydrometer Horror

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Well I know better than anyone not to trust a Hydrometer but I haven't had a refractometer since I been back in the hobby.

My Deep six has been reading 1.022 so the past few weeks i have been slowly raising it to 1.024 I noticed things in my tank have looked off since I did this and knew something was up with my SG but i thought it was on the low side, today my refractometer shows up and I checked my water, then my friends water, and rodi water just to make sure it was reading correct.

I went to my tank again fearing what I already knew and low and behold the reading was 1.031 way off.

So here is one more horror story about hydrometers, thankfully I didn't go to 1.026 as planned or there may have been permanent damage.

BigJay

Re: Hydrometer Horror :chainsaw:

yeah my deep six that I got with the used tank I bought is the most inaccurate of any hydrometer I have ever tested nearly 7 points off just like yours.

XeniaLee

I was just about to buy a refractometer from Fosters and Smith. they are on sale for $47.99 and that sounds like a good deal. But is there a special brand I should buy?

Val

I got a used Deep Six with the 180g tank I bought. I checked it against my refractometer and it was off about the same as yours Eric. I just trashed it.

XeniaLee

Thanks for the info Eric! I bought it on Ebay, and saved some money! (Money that will, no doubt, be spent on my tank some other way).

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM

Val I may make a video of blow torching this piece of crap, or maybe hit it with a 3" slug, you get the idea :D

A what to do with your brand new Deep Six hydrometer when you get it home :D

Not a problem Lee.

Val

Val I may make a video of blow torching this piece of crap, or maybe hit it with a 3" slug, you get the idea :D

A what to do with your brand new Deep Six hydrometer when you get it home :D

Not a problem Lee.

lol, if you make that video show what the hydro reads compared to the refracto first. Might as well make a valid point along with the fun.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I edited the title for you and removed the broken link for the chainsaw emoticon. You cannot use these in the titles :whip:

DanSReef

When I set up my new RO/DI system... I purchased a F&S Refractometer. It was an awesome investment... for accuracy and good piece of mind.

Hey Eric... looking forward to the 3" slug video... Hmmmmm I think there is a contest in that lidea.... Best Hydrometer Destruction Video.....

r2d2

I got mine in ebay for $24 and is very accurate and easy to use. I still have my hydrometer because I dont want it in trash can where it belongs...

anewguy

yea same problem here. except mine is from IO.
hydrometer918.jpg

and then this moments later with my refractometer that came with calibration fluid.
refractometer918.jpg

XeniaLee

very cool post! I just now got the refractometer that I ordered off of ebay. Took forever to get here, and it was shipped from only 100 miles from here.
Anyhow, I tested my water, and it was 1.024 on the new refractometer, and 1.0245 with my swing arm hydrometer. Not bad!
Oh, when I first set up my tank, I took the hydrometer to my lfs, and they tested it against a refractometer, and told me that it was surprisingly close to accurate. So I guess I happened to get a good one, and it's still close to accurate. So in answer to Mastocker - yes they are consistantly inaccurate IMO.

ALreefer

I just recently purchased a refractometer so I would no longer have to rely on my LFS for an accurate reading. I have been using a deep six hydrometer and surprisingly it is reading accurately, or at least it is reading the same as my new refractometer and my LFS's hydrometer. Kind of sad to say I have a oddball hydrometer that actually reads accurately.

fishhound

I believe I have read that you have to be certain to check the temp at which a certain hydrometer is calibrated at. It has been said that a change of 10 degrees F plus or minus is followed by a SG reading of about .001. For instance my hydrometer is calibrated at 68F... a 1.022 reading is actually 1.025 at 79F. I would have never known if I hadn't had the LFS check my SG. Definetly gonna buy a refractometer asap. You get what you pay for I guess.

I still use a hydrometer almost daily. However, I have a refractometer that I use to calibrate the hydrometer weekly. Once I check the hydrometer calibration, it normally doesn't change as long as I clean it well between testings. It's a pain to calibrate the refractometer every day. I use the refractometer when I do water changes, but I like to check SG daily. I use the hydrometer for that. They do have their uses. People just need to make sure that they calibrate the hydrometers themselves next to a refractometer. If you don't have a refractometer, then take it to your LFS for calibration against their refractometer. The scales on the hydrometers are notoriously off calibration so you should ALWAYS calibrate it before initial use.

steved13

PREMIUM
I use a milwaukee instruments digital refractometer. It's a little more pricey but very easy to calibrate, use, read, and care for. I have trouble seeing the little lines in the optical, and there is no guessing with the digital readout. It automatically adjusts for the temp.

Well worth the investment.

Reddog170

I keep my hydrometer around just in case. i check it against my refractometer once a week and know that it is 4 points low. Just a double check if I ever question my refractometer.