Hydroids

Jewells

I have those hydroids that look like little sticks popping up more and more in my tank, is there a way to rid of them without having to take my LR out of the tank? I looked around the forum and couldn't find a topic about those particular ones. They are ugly! Here is a pic hopefully, having a hard time getting any to show up.

Attachments

• hydroid1.jpg
    hydroid1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Jewells

I just found out what they really are after an hour of searching, it isn't even a hydroid, it is a snail! Here is what I found on another forum site. It must be what you have also because they mention that fish also in here and the description of these snails is exactly what I have. Mounds and all. I may have to get a hermit crab now.

Vermetid snails are relatively diverse; over a hundred species have been described, and some of them are commonly found in aquaria. Although several species are found occasionally in our systems, generally entering on live rock, one variety in particular may become very abundant, and be a serious nuisance in some systems. This species, probably the most common, is small, with a brown, reddish, or purple shell. Interestingly, the animal is difficult to identify, although that has not stopped numerous reef aquarists from doing so. It probably is Spiroglyphus annulatus, which is a small vermetid originally from the Caribbean. However, similar small species live elsewhere in the world, and they all look pretty much alike. It will probably take genetic testing to verify the identity of our aquarium friends. Whatever species it is, this particular one has small individuals. The tube seldom is over one or two millimeters wide. The shells are typically reddish or reddish-brown; sometimes they are even tinged with violet. The animal forms a small, calcareous shell mound and then sends up a short, three to five millimeter long, vertical stalk. The upper edge of this tube may be razor sharp, and may inflict rather nasty cuts. A few of these would be no real problem; however, this animal reproduces very well in marine aquaria. Left unchecked, it can reach populations of over several thousand in a few months. They prefer high current areas, and will infest and clog plumbing, significantly reducing water flow. In severe infestations they can clog and shut down pumps. The only solution in cases like these is physical removal of the animals using whatever method is easiest (a muriatic acid bath works well).

Fortunately, some fishes such as Copperband butterfly fishes, seem to eat them, and some hermit crabs will eat them as well. Eating these worm snails may well be the only truly beneficial effect of hermit crabs in aquaria.

Attachments

• vermetids.jpg
    vermetids.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

sambrinar

leave the vermetids.. they are fine... these are hydroids

Picture005.jpg

and they sting the heck outta coral

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great video Brenda! I didn't realize hydroids could pop back into the rock like that. Thankfully I've never had any.

sambrinar

Well I thought they were a little colony of Feathers... so I video taped them... NOPE!! I need to make a paste of calcium and get rid of them.. just haven't yet

sambrinar

I have vermetids too.. they are harmless filter feeders.. the hydroids are a different story.. but the only thing they do is sting nearby coral. I tried scrubbing them off... don't bother... need to coat them with calcium paste and NOT touch the nearby coral with it

Wolfgang8810

tough when there right in the middle of some zoanthids. HAHA! It may be easier to just take the rock out and torch the buggers lol. Thats what ive been doing with small patches of aptasia.

7ab20b59df11375af968f8d04ad2f1e9.jpg

Wolfgang8810

Keep me updated on how it works. My calcium is already too high at the moment. (550) I will be getting some shortly.

sambrinar

Burning... you sure those are hydroids?? that to me looks like streamers from Vermatid snails

and my calcium would absolutely not break down with that little of water to make a paste... I'm gonna have to bum some Kaulk off someone. I don't wanna buy a whole bottle just to make a small amount of paste

burning2nd

thats what i was told was hydroids.....

i was told there bad and will sting... but at night theres a few hear and there...

they are a filter feeder at best... and i dont think they are half as bad as people make it seem.. they can get long...

bad is droping a new nem right in front of a plate monti... the nem touched it on the descent to the floor.... reef warfair smoke was on almost instantly