Hydroids (the micro size kind)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have these on my glass & I think swimming in my water sometimes. I used to have pods instead of these. I've read that they are not good to have. But I have never seen any suggestions on HOW TO GET RID OF THEM.
Is there any fish that will eat them or am I just stuck with them? Here's an on-line picture because they are too teeny tiny for my iPhone or iPad to get a picture. Any info about them is appreciated :)
null_zpsa62ed488.png
[/IMG]
Will these grow into a bigger problem? :dunno:

theplantman

Diana,

Most time this form of hydroid goes away on its own. At least it has in my tank and I have not seen very many posts in the past with them becoming a nuisance. Once their food supply is exhausted that is. If you are feeding your feather dusters marine plankton, you may want to stop for a few weeks until you see these hydroids vanish. Your dusters will be fine, don't worry. They do have the ability to sting small fry.

check this site out: Chuck's Addiction

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Michael...since I have not seen any posts on these, I kinda thought they might exit on their own. I can't imagine any way to be rid of them other than maybe putting in a fish that eats them. They are so tiny. I have put phyto-plankton (green liquid) in my tank a time or two but not on a regular basis. I have pineapple sponges out the waazoo too....but I know they aren't supposed to be bad & may reduce their own population also. I was just thinking those hydroids might sting my fish & I don't want that happening.
Encountered ANOTHER Smokin' Snail yesterday also...clouded up my water. I may be over run with snails soon too :( I think it's always going to be something :dunno:

theplantman

If the pineapple sponges and hydroid populations are high, I would stop feeding phyto until they come down. The good news is your water quality is pretty good to keep those sponges alive, you may want to cut back on your tank feeding in general though because if you have a large population your tank may be too nutrient rich, either with plankton or phosphates. Sponges are filter feeders and remove food from the water column and sounds like yours are getting plenty. How did your last phosphate test turn out?

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Thanks Michael...since I have not seen any posts on these, I kinda thought they might exit on their own. I can't imagine any way to be rid of them other than maybe putting in a fish that eats them. They are so tiny. I have put phyto-plankton (green liquid) in my tank a time or two but not on a regular basis. I have pineapple sponges out the waazoo too....but I know they aren't supposed to be bad & may reduce their own population also. I was just thinking those hydroids might sting my fish & I don't want that happening.
Encountered ANOTHER Smokin' Snail yesterday also...clouded up my water. I may be over run with snails soon too :( I think it's always going to be something :dunno:

Hey Diana!

I have those teeny tiny hydroids too. Well... I used to. When I first saw them, I thought they were new aiptasia coming back so I blasted them with Aiptasia X. They're gone! Except for these two itty bitty ones that just won't go away. They're not near anything and they won't hurt anything so I'm letting them be. But the Aiptasia X did work.

I also have pineapple sponges, but only a couple... like 5 tops. Sounds like you have way more than that.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If the pineapple sponges and hydroid populations are high, I would stop feeding phyto until they come down. The good news is your water quality is pretty good to keep those sponges alive, you may want to cut back on your tank feeding in general though because if you have a large population your tank may be too nutrient rich, either with plankton or phosphates. Sponges are filter feeders and remove food from the water column and sounds like yours are getting plenty. How did your last phosphate test turn out?
I haven't tested for phosphate in a long time. Guess I should. I tested my nitrates this morning and they are below 5ppm (undetectable) using my API test kit. I think I'm going to buy a second opinion test for nitrates....ANY SUGGESTION OF A GOOD brand would be appreciated. I have NO algae outbreaks to be pulling the nitrates down so I'm going to assume my WC's are keeping them in check until I get another test kit. I have 2 separate API Nitrate kits & both show no readable nitrate. All yellow, no orange tint at all.
THANKS ALL OF YOU WHO continue to help me & read my thread :D

theplantman

Try salifert, they are a little pricey, but I have found them pretty accurate and 1 should be about the same as two of the others.

ReefApprentice

So do those salifert also get rid of normal hydroids ? I have a few on my purple death. Those micro hydroids are safe right?

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I saw one in my tank. I pulled it off the glass with the hemostats. It is the only one that I have seen.

theplantman

I am using Red Sea right now, the nitrite and nitrate and ammonia tests are easy to read, I find the PH test a little tough to discern on their color chart, but John is right, their test kits have been good.