Hydrogen peroxide and Bryopsis?

Tjr1992

I have a pretty bad outbreak of bryopsis on my LR in my 20 gallon aquarium. I've been reading different threads on other sites about people using H2O2 to kill bryopsis on frags, LR, etc. I'm thinking of taking the LR out of the tank, putting it in a bucket, and spraying it with H2O2 out of a spray bottle. It would obviously kill my beneficial bacteria if I just soaked it in a H2O2/Tank water mix. I'm thinking of spraying it, letting it sit for a few minutes, then rinse it off in a bucket of aquarium water. I'm wondering if you guys think it would be alright to just spray the outside of the rock, that way there are still bacteria inside the nooks and crannies of the rock. Do you think this would work?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you think this is bryopsis (not the easiest to identify) then I would raise your MG to 1600 ish using Kent Tech-M. It has to be Kent Tech-M though. This will be the easiest on your tank and at 20G, shouldn't be too expensive. Using H202 works, not sure on how well on bryopsis but it kills a lot and if you're treating all rocks (to a point to kill the bryopsis), it could really harm the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Can you do it in "sections" so you're not nuking all the rock at the same time? Maybe 1/3 of the rock at a time about a week apart?

You'll want to clean/scrub as much off as you can while you have them out of the water to help remove the excess organics.

Tjr1992

Well, I have sort of a cave built out of 3 rocks and they are epoxied together. So I guess I could do one rock each week. I'm not comfortable raising Mg because of my inverts. I've read many threads where people have had success dipping LR in a H2O2/Water solution, but I'm trying to go about it without killing all of my bacterial colonies.

knapp870

Well, I have sort of a cave built out of 3 rocks and they are epoxied together. So I guess I could do one rock each week. I'm not comfortable raising Mg because of my inverts. I've read many threads where people have had success dipping LR in a H2O2/Water solution, but I'm trying to go about it without killing all of my bacterial colonies.

I tried the kent M for awhile and noticed it perhaps slowing growth, but didnt kill it off. I then said screw it and have been lowering my tank water(the bryopsis is on the top few rocks of my tank), spraying or squirting it on with a needle, letting it fizz, then raising the water back up. This will effectively turn it white and kill it within about 24-28 hours, however I have been struggling to get it all.

I really have doubts about the tank water/H202 mixture as water neutralizes Hydroge peroxide. I would do as you are thinking and take it out, spray it, let it fizz for a minute or two and then rinse and replace. However, keep in mind you will probably have nitrate spikes form die off, so do some big water changes in that smaller sized aquarium.

Choff

I would suggest trying the tech m approach as psu stated.

Bryopsis is nasty and hardy. It's root system is quite deep.

I have small patches growing in my tank that I am fairly certain is bryopsis. I ordered a jug of tech m (mg tanks a little bigger) and I am sticking a UV on it which also helps.

In the meantime I am practically starving my fish feeding bare min and lessened my light cycle.

My breakout appeared when I was heavily over feeding to get my kole tang to eat.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The key is getting it all and that is where you'll run into the problem. I'd rehome your inverts, raise the MG for 2 weeks then bring it down. It has worked great for some folks and mixed for others but I think its safer than the H202.