Hydor koralia pumps

I have a question about these pumps

I have noticed that they now have some sort of directional flow adapter that sticks on the end of the pump..

I did not receive these when I purchased my two #2's from the lfs

is this something new from hydor koralia and does anyone have these on their pumps?.....does it work well?
and should I get them?

thanks
Clint

mtfish

It seems that they just make for a more directional flow. I actually don't have mine on right now. I don't think they will make a HUGE difference, unless you wanted more of a hard directional type flow.

On the other hand they should have come with them, so you should have your lfs get you some, since you did pay for them. If your lfs won't, then get a new lfs.

waucedah_joe

The #3's I bought came with them. Tried it on one and ended up taking it off because the flow was to concentrated for my needs.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think these are a new 'improvements" to the design. It's possible that your pumps were packaged before this was included. Maybe they can get them from the vendor for you.

heels92

I am looking to add a couple of these pumps to my tank..Which one should I get for my 65 gallon tank. Tank is 36/24/18...

Would the 2 work?

Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey buddy. It depends on what you're wanting as far as flow! What type of corals are you keeping or planning to keep?

The #'s are 600gph which would be good for a tank that size for medium flow.

Do you have any other pumps or power heads in your tank?

:)

heels92

Hey BigAl,
I have 3 power heads now. 2 on wave maker and one on constant. I was thinking about replacing them with these as I understand they are potentially more flexible and offer a larger range of where the flow is directed to. I have anemone, montipora, frogspawn, zenia, leathers, etc.

One thing I have read though is they are loud...compared to what, my existing rio's? Should I just save the money and go with the Tunze brand?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have Koralias in ALL 3 of my tanks and for the money I don't think you can beat them.

Loud? I don't hear any of mine. I'm planning on adding some #3's or #4's to my 90g maybe as early as TONIGHT!! :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah it's not a "Small" upcharge by ANY means!!! But I hear that's a VERY high end power head!!

heels92

Thanks al. I think I will go with them. I am working out of the house today...lol. I was wondering, where is your lfs, do you have to go all the way to asheville, lol.

Cougra

I've just started using two Koralia nano's in my small 29H tank and am really impressed. I ended up removing the more conventional powerheads from the tank because those two pumps were more then enough for my needs. (I dont' have any really high flow demanding corals)

I have two 4's in my tank and i love them mine did come with the screen thing at first i did not like them becaues it made it look so big but after a few fish and a shrimp swame into them and got choped up i put them back on.

tbittner

I really think that is the reason for these add on pieces, pazazed. Not so much for creating directional flow, but more for protecting the livestock.

waucedah_joe

I have two 4's in my tank and i love them mine did come with the screen thing at first i did not like them becaues it made it look so big but after a few fish and a shrimp swame into them and got choped up i put them back on.

Do you have them on a wavemaker? I don't see how a fish could get in that end with the pump running and all that flow.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think it is when they are off that fish are getting into most of them. I'm probably going to "engineer" a screen (gutter guard) to cover mine with.

hey yea there on wave maker its called the wave master pro. so i think thats what happened is that it shut and the fish swam in.