Hydor Koralia Evolution

I plan on picking a powerhead or so for my new tank but how do I determine how many? calculate the flow? I have 46g and plan on a mixed reef. thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
get a vortech mp20.

We'd all LOVE to "invest" in the Vortech but WOW they are pricey!

I plan on picking a powerhead or so for my new tank but how do I determine how many? calculate the flow? I have 46g and plan on a mixed reef. thanks

It depends on SEVERAL factors:

Are you planning to be predominantly Softy, LPS or SPS? Of those three each one (generally speaking requires more flow than the previous).

A "Basic" SW tank needs to start with about 10x tank turn-over per hour. Softies can take a little more then some LPS (some less) more and SPS like a LOT of flow.

For example in my Mixed Reef 90g tank I've got a few softies but it's mostly LPS and SPS. I've got 33x turn-over and intend to add more soon.

Luukosian

Yeah theres no way you'd find me or most anyone I know with a reef spending 300 bucks for a fancy underwater fan :)

If you want a mixed reef I would say either 2 koralia 2's or a koralia 3. I have a 4 in my 55 and its almost TOO much for some of the softies.

reef dummy

I just received my Evolution 4 and it is so powerful I have to shut it off at night. I plan on putting it on a timer so it comes on with my lights. I have a standard 120g and I had a hard time finding a place to direct it so it would'nt completely irritate some of my corals like my rbta. Dr. Foster's had them 20% so I thought I'd try one. Best choice for those of us who can't drop 400.00 for a Vortech.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just received my Evolution 4 and it is so powerful I have to shut it off at night. I plan on putting it on a timer so it comes on with my lights. I have a standard 120g and I had a hard time finding a place to direct it so it would'nt completely irritate some of my corals like my rbta. Dr. Foster's had them 20% so I thought I'd try one. Best choice for those of us who can't drop 400.00 for a Vortech.

I'm thinking about also doing this with my 90g system. Have it set up via my Controller to have a night-time "slow" current. Then in the morning hours have the power-heads come back on in stages. Sounds FUN! :)

There was a guy selling a brandnew vortech Mp10 for like $165 or something on Socalireefs.com. You might want to check it out.

BigJay

I have 46g and plan on a mixed reef. thanks

My personal opinion I'd aim for 1150-2000 GPH. Allthough sometimes its not so straight forward. Getting the flow to work around your tank can sometimes be more beneficial then just adding more powerheads due to cancelation of currents.
Also keep in mind that flow quickly decreases as powerheads scale up and get dirty. So your 2000 GPH or 50x 's turnover per hour can quickly end up being 800 GPH or 17 x's per hour turnover in a very short period of time.
Not to thread jack but has anyone tried the Rio Polario? Seems like just the ticket for most home tanks with an easier price tag to bear then the MP's. I like the fact the polario attaches to the back wall so it isn't as obvious as the typically side mounted powerheads. Koralias are awesome PH's for the money but they are bulky and imho ugly.

WVUReefer

go vortech...mp20 I believe is $195 at TBAquatics.com...also I think the Korellias are as expensive once you factor in the cost of the PH and timer/controller..

Be forewarned on the evolution, They are BIG!

But you have a number 4. I plan on two 2's or a 2 and a 1, so hopfully mine will be smaller right?

btw reefdummy, I seen that marinedepot has the evolutions. cheapest I've seen online. given the fact nowhere to be found brick and mortar I wanted to know if any one can vouch for marinedepots reputation?

Also guys another question. If I get two, how do I position them? would I want one on each side facing in? or do I need them both facing the same direction for indentical water movement?

I wanted to know if any one can vouch for marinedepots reputation?

I just placed my order with them on sunday and my package arrived today. I have purchased a lot from MarineDepot and will continue to do so. They have great prices i have not dealt with their customer service since i have not had any problems with them.

I just placed my order with them on sunday and my package arrived today. I have purchased a lot from MarineDepot and will continue to do so. They have great prices i have not dealt with their customer service since i have not had any problems with them.

thanks alot for the heads up. there is a few things I want to order from them.

still airise is my other question.
If I get two powerheads, how do I position them? would I want one on each side facing in? or do I need them both facing the same direction for indentical water movement?