hybrid system question

hi, i am planning on building my own tank and redoing all the equipment i have. i have been doing research on filtration, my question is about the plenum systems. when you set up a plenum, you have a void under 4-6" of gravel and sand, the void is approx. 1 to 1.5". and they say not to put a whole lot of rock on the surface of the sand because that will interfear with the gas exchanges from the sand. so if you were to drill the bottom of the tank and incorporate a closed filter system like the nu clear filters Nu-Clear Aquarium/Water Canister Filter - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
in my thinking you could put as muck rock on the surface of the sand as you wanted??? am i wrong? with the filters hooked to a pump you would force the water to be pulled through the sand and down to say a bio ball filter and then pipe the water back to the surface of the tank, i am only talking a few hundred gal an hour though. any ideas on my thoughts?
i was also going to put a large skimmer and a 180 gal sump/refuge with calupera and a dsb with live rock and other things in the basaement.

bluespotjawfish

I'd do more reading about the plenum filters. They are anorobic filters so I don't think they would work right with what you are talking about. Also, I just took mine out because it couldn't control the nitrates with it in there!