Hurricane Mathew coming my way

Orlando-Jeff

So here in Orlando, we are preparing for hurricane Mathew. I'm concerned about power outages and what may happen to my C-130. How long can I go with no water movement? I have a few 12 volt batteries that I was thinking about using for one of my power heads to at least get some water moving in my tank. My tank is just now looking good and I would hate to see it crash because of a power outage...

spiraling

I haven't had to deal with that - good luck!
circulation is the key for O2 exchange to keep things alive

from google:
Here is one method which is easy to do and actually works:
  • Take any type of clean cup, pitcher or other container, scoop out and fill it with aquarium water.
  • Hold the filled container some distance above the aquarium, and pour the water back into the tank. Repeat this process numerous times.
In a power outage I will try that, but realistically my heaters going out is my biggest concern.

Orlando-Jeff

Thanks for the replies. I did manage to borrow a UPS battery backup from work. It won't be a long term solution but it's capable of running 300 watts. The power head is way less than that so it may run a while. Keeping my fingers crossed but the storm doesn't look good for us here in Orlando so a power outage is pretty much a given..

cracker

Hope all goes well for You Jeff I live just south of Jax so we are expecting a good blow.

Orlando-Jeff

Thanks. We've had some bands of rain come through but nothing severe yet. Looks like the worst will be near daybreak tomorrow. Doesn't look like much sleep tonight

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I remember reading about Andrew, I remember how bad Homestead got it, even the zoo animals were running loose, wasn't it a category 5 - hearing this one may be a 4, but that is still very serious & damaging

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Our state (1,000 miles away) has sent 150 power crews & truck your way, they left yesterday.
I am sure many others states will be doing the same, hope they all can restore power for everyone as quick as possible.

Orlando-Jeff

Andrew had Winds of over 160mph. We lived in North Miami about 20 miles from where the eye came ashore and still got 135mph winds

Orlando-Jeff

Well, looks like the worst is over here in the Orlando area. During the night,the storm moved a little farther east off the coast than predicted. Good news for us. Instead of the predicted 80+ mph winds here, we have only had top winds of about 50mph. So far, no power loss. Good news for my tank...Oh yeah..family is fine too...:yup::yup: