Hurricane Irene headed my way...

I dont have any back up power for my tank as of right now and from the sound of it this storm will hit Long Island pretty hard. Im just worried i will be without power for a day or two. What can i buy or do so i can make sure my tank doesnt go belly up.

1 LTA
1 Clown
1 Coral Beauty
1 Candy Cane
Zoa's
1 toadstool
1 Frogspawn.

Thanks

DaveK

What I do for such cases is to have a few of those battery operated air pumps. They will run for something like 12 hours on a D cell (I think). They are inexpensive, but you need to get them up front. Most LFS don't seem to carry them.

IMO typical battery backups, such as used for a computer, can not provide nearly enough power to keep a reef system going any length of time, even if you just run critical stuff.

If all else fails, use a bucket, fill it with tank water, and pour it back into the tank so you cause as much turbulence as possible, and repeat it several times an hour. This will at least give you some gas exchange.

If all else fails, use a bucket, fill it with tank water, and pour it back into the tank so you cause as much turbulence as possible, and repeat it several times an hour. This will at least give you some gas exchange.

I would of never of thought of that..thanks. Its going to hit sunday afternoon so i hope i can find some battery powered air pumps.

This really sucks..lol

Robzilla

OMG that is freakin brilliant. I have searched so many methods since I get ice storms in Ohio, but this is the first time seeing something so simple!

DesertOrchid

You can also use a trusty turkey baster to help with adding turbulence in between the bucketing. Have used it many times when the power goes out here in the wild west. Take care DrugmonkeyRX and we'll all be keeping you in our prayers. Keep in touch and best of luck with the tank. Stay safe!!!!

You can also use a trusty turkey baster to help with adding turbulence in between the bucketing. Have used it many times when the power goes out here in the wild west. Take care DrugmonkeyRX and we'll all be keeping you in our prayers. Keep in touch and best of luck with the tank. Stay safe!!!!

Thanks man, i will chime in and let you guys know how it went. They just declared a state of emergency for Long Island/NY

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
B safe pal. Generators here in the midwest where we have regular power outages come in mighty handy.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

JGard911

I live on Cape Cod, MA. I just spent $800 for a generator at Home Depot. I am hoping it can stay in the box and I can return it next week !!

Wingflier

I live in Va Beach weare going to get hit head on what they are saying I'm ready have a build in genny so if the power goes out it will be back on in 5 mins good luck to all on the east coast

AJK

Stay safe during the storm :) Not in referance to corals, but my fw/sw fish, survived two consecutive power outage, first 9 hours, next day 12 hours. I was so happy they survived. Good luck friend.

mtk

I just ordered a mp 10 with the battery back up yesterday and had it 2 day shipped. I live in montauk so it should be interesting for us. Good luck and be safe.

Funlad3

B safe pal. Generators here in the midwest where we have regular power outages come in mighty handy.

Jeez, you make it sound as if our power is unreliable! We'll loose power for a day or two once or twice a year here, but what is regularly to you?

As for keeping everyone happy in the tank, a fishing battery power air pump works wonders for me. $8 and some D batteries lasts me about 24 hours, then I change batteries. That at least keeps CO2 down and oxygen up. I also am usually to run my RIO 2500+ off of our generator, and it draws, for me, about 30W.

Good luck to all of the East Coast! I have friends down there! Oh, and you guys could probably be all included in that! :lol:

dmatt88

What. A day or two, two or three times a year isn't a good reason for a generator? C'mon now.

Funlad3

Oh, it is cause for a generator, but you made it sound like our power was purposely withheld from us if we didn't please the all-mighty dictator, Kim-Jong Il! Actually, that would make a good movie! :LOL:

Rob, THAT is extreme. Did you have to eat anyone and burn their clothes for warmth?

dmatt88

Oh, it is cause for a generator, but you made it sound like our power was purposely withheld from us if we didn't please the all-mighty dictator, Kim-Jong Il! Actually, that would make a good movie! :LOL:

Rob, THAT is extreme. Did you have to eat anyone and burn their clothes for warmth?

Haha.

Rob. Move south dude that's a killer.

Robzilla

Yeah Ohio is pretty crazy. We don't have climate...just weather.

I'm glad I didn't have a tank during that time! We had to move into a hotel downtown where there are no trees. The weight of the ice was snapping trees in hald and they were crushing telephone poles and powerlines.