Howdy, I'm William from OK!

William

Hi folks,

Greetings from the hills and oak forests of SEOK! I'm William, 44, a retired TV news reporter and photographer. I grew up on a small farm where I helped my grandfather raise cattle and watermelons. I've been looking after my g'parents for about 3 years. I lost Pa a few months ago. It still smarts a lot. Now it's just me and Ma, although I'm not quite sure who is looking after who!

I've been keeping fish in one way or another since birth. I apparently received a goldfish bowl at my baby shower. My parents bought me an aquarium when I was 8 years old. I was diagnosed with ADHD back when they just called it "hyperactive". My doc suggested my parents buy me a fish tank to keep me occupied at night so everyone else could get some rest! Anyhoo, that's where my addiction to fishkeeping began.

I've been reefkeeping since I moved back home. I tried a marine tank in the late 80's. A complete disaster. Recently, I've had better luck, thanks to the improvements in technology, etc. Currently, I have one 100 gallon tank for my reef critters, and a 30 gallon tank where I cure live rock. I've had some success making my own rocks out of a mix of concrete and crushed coral, and currently curing a batch of forms made from concrete and styrofoam.

I've found the hobby to be of great help in relaxation and meditation. It slows the pulse rate and lowers the bloodpressure. If you met my family, you'd know why that's so important! Actually, they're great people. Like most Okies, my family is huge, often overwhelmingly so.

To me, there are few things in this world that rival the peace and beauty found on a coral reef. While I have a great many hobbies and interests, reefkeeping is by far the most satisfying. It's my refuge.

This is more info than you probably care to know. You may have noticed I tend to ramble. Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope I'll be a helpful contributor to the forums.

Peace, William

Jesus said "You are to love your neighbor as you do your own soul. Protect him as the pupil of your eye."

Sayings gospel of Thomas

Frankie

RS STAFF
Awesome William! I look forward to seeing your pictures and learning what you know with the hobby. God bless!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Howdy right back there William!! and welcome to RS, long windedness is a wonderfull attribute,some of us just have the need to read so post away, thanks for the grins lol . Steve

TDEVIL

nice to meet you, welcome to RS
since you mentioned you are a photographer, we are now going to need some eye candy, lol ;)

Jay

lcstorc

Welcome to RS! Great introduction. I almost feel like I know you already. :)
Post some of those pics. I love to see other tanks and "borrow" ideas. LOL

Gina

RS STAFF
Hello William and Welcome to RS!
Have any pics of your reef and home made rock?