how well do reef inhabitants ship overnight?

reefer gladness

Question is might be too general but on average how well do reef inhabitants ship overnight from online retailers? Feedback on various sub-categeries would be great if it makes sense.

Invertebrates -
Soft corals -
LPS corals -
SPS corals -
Live fish -

I have a good selection from the LFS in my area but also have some gift certificates from an online store for live stock only. The online store doesn't really have anything I can't get locally so I wanted them to ship whatever is hardiest.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have not ordered a lot online, but for me one huge key - is dealing with companies that are willing to take care of any problems - I know Foster & Smith to name one is great about it

Live Fish: Buy Live Fish Online with the Arrive Alive, Stay Alive® Guarantee from LiveAquaria.com

Our Promise: "When you order live fish or any product from LiveAquaria.com, every purchase is a partnership, and our guarantee is our promise. That's why we've made our Arrive Alive, Stay Alive® Guarantee 100% risk-free. Because we believe that a partnership built on mutual faith and trust will always be stronger than one built on terms & conditions."

Your Guarantees:
If your fish, coral, plant, or invertebrate doesn't
arrive alive and stay alive for 14 days, we'll credit
your account or refund your money.

One way to think about it... is some wholesaler had to ship them over night to the retailers.

reefer gladness

The store where I have gift certificates (petsolutions.com) has a similar 14-day guarantee so if there's no significant difference in the hardiness of the reef critters I'll probably use it for the CUC which I'm the least concerned visually about hand picking myself.

I was considering the 14-day guarantee as something of a short-term warranty but my preferred LFS (VividAquariums.com) has a 15-day guarantee of their own which I'm sure applies to walk-in customers as well.

catran

I believe it mostly depends on the original condition of the coral. If you deal with a store that has good stock and takesmgreat care of it, anything can be shipped and will arrive fine. If you follow the proper acclimation process and know all about the care of that coral, you will be successful.
I've had corals of all kinds either arrive dead or die shortly afterwards. I've steered away from those online dealers and gone with places that have consistently healthy stock.
Also, read the fine print, many guarantee corals but only provide a credit for DOA's. That means if you have a horrible experience with them, you'll have to reorder from them to recoup your money (and pay for shipping), or lose it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tnwillia

I buy from Vivid overnight shipping often, one of my 3 "trusted" shipping sites (Vivid, BlueZoo & Live Aquaria). If you have Vivid local I'd be waiting for them to open the door!

soco

Good call on the fine print cat. I have had that exact items thing happen to man and I had to order again to get the credit. But then when the "replacement" package came some of those pieces were dead. They said the same thing.... credit on the next order..... needless to say doubt ill be buy from them again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

DesertOrchid

I order everything from LiveAquaria and I have had all varieties of corals and fish ship to middle of nowhere Wyoming. They are very very good with their customer service when something doesn't go right. If something is out of stock they will allow a change of item and they pay the shipping! I really really like this service as there is no pet stores with in 300 miles except a very poor petco. Give them a try! You won't be disappointed.

artpics

LOL - I visit Vivid Weekly great store.

I buy from Vivid overnight shipping often, one of my 3 "trusted" shipping sites (Vivid, BlueZoo & Live Aquaria). If you have Vivid local I'd be waiting for them to open the door!

Where I Buy My Fish and Coral Online - YouTube

sig.php