How to wash up before reaching into tank

rostervandross

Hello everybody,

This just crossed my mind today when getting into my tank to kill some aiptasia, and since I reach into my tank often.. I was wondering what the general consensus is about cleaning up one's hands and arms before reaching down into your tank.

Is washing with plain bar soap sufficient? Obviously you don't want oil or fragrances or nastier things like bug spray on your skin when dipping into your tank..

Marty.h

I normally just wash up my arms and hands with washing up liquid then give them a good scrub and rinse and I've always done that with no issues

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I try to use only running tap water...SOAP of any kind always scares me. If I wash my hands & arms with soap, seems like I can never get the slight soap smell off. So I scrub with only plain running tap water & then dry my hands & arms.
If I have any doubt, I will use disposable shoulder length gloves.
I bought a whole box of them at the farm store. I think they sell them to farmers who have to help with cow/calf delivery.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I opt to use washing up liquid as above as I'm a mechanic for a living so I do get grease/oil on me I just make sure I rinse really well.
I get manicures & use lotions daily on my skin, all that worries me.
I've had ZERO mishaps so far. I can certainly see with your job that you'd need soap to remove that type of grease & oil.
You might want to look for some gloves also.
image.jpeg

Marty.h

I did buy a pack of shoulder length gloves all be it not the make pictured but they all leaked haha so need to get some more.

A majority of the time I have like a plastic litter picker and I can do most with that so no need to even put hands in tank

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Another reason I like to have gloves on....I have TWO KITTY CATS.
And when one decides to bite or scratch me....I think of the poison that is in my tank via Zoas & Palys, that worries me a little too.
Those gloves sitting there are for my protection sometimes too. :D

rostervandross

Seems simple enough looking back on the question but I had doubts that maybe soap residue or fragrance in soap was something to consider staying away from..

A good full length pair of gloves seems like a good idea all around

frisbee

I just scrub my hands/arms with hot tap water. Using soap or anything like that prior to putting my hands in the tank just scares me. It's probably ok, but I'd rather not chance it.

Dracko

I wash in RO/DI from my system, and clean under fingernails because I do woodworking, and I never know for sure what I have gotten on my hands each day (you pick up a rag to wipe hand, ect.) But I never use soap, because the things in soap can absorb into the skin, and then be released in tank no matter how well you rinse.

Oxylebius

Here is a good read: http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/feb14/sunscreen.html

A blurb from the link above....
"researchers and their partners have discovered that a sunscreen chemical commonly used in many soaps, cosmetics, and body fragrances is highly toxic to corals. The team's data show that even very low concentrations of benzophenone-2, or BP-2, can quickly kill juvenile corals. BP-2 is an additive used in personal-care products since the 1960s to protect against the damaging effects of ultraviolet light."

Something to be aware of and one of the main drivers for washing hands and arms before going into the tank. If must you use soap (to get serious grim off), make sure the soap is completely rinsed off.

rostervandross

Good info! The times I do use soap to wash off cologne or lotions or if i've been working in the garage or yard work I typically use natural or milk soap without fragrance or additives.. just basic natural soap bar.