how to put the Tunze 9002 in place in a 130d ?

proenca

Hi there,

The Tunze 9002 just "slides" into the back are but how do I get it properly attached ?

the fittings that comes with it are sufficient ?

do I need to buy something extra ? magnet ? support ?

some people I see buying inTank Media Racks? for the Tunze ? why ?

( ps : my tank is here but my Tunze in the mail, hence the questions :) )

Hey, if you find out plz let me know, i just bought a 130d and i have both the stock skimmer in place and then i have a tunze 9002 skimmer, which was in a refugium, which i dont wana hook up so im curious if theres other options or even a need for this type of skimmer, can the stock RSM skimmer do the same job?

TonyV

It can attach to the back wall with a magnet or to the media rack. There is a set of magnets included with the Tunze. 1 piece is pre-glued to the short side of the skimmer body which would be used if you were mounting it to a media rack. If you want to mount it to the back then you will need to either remove the pre-glued magnet, order a second pair, or find a suitable replacement and glue it to the long side of the skimmer body.

The stock skimmer sucks. 96% of RSM owners switch out the stock skimmer for the Tunze. 2% use the Euro-reef or Deltec, and 2% use the stock skimmer. Enough said.

proenca

Tony, so if I order the inTank media rack, the set of magnets that come with the Tunze are sufficient to hold the skimmer in place ? attached to the media rack ?

David Shaw

I have the media rack. The Tunze fits to the media rack on the left via a magnet. One magnet inside the media rack and the tunze attached to the other side with the other magnet.

Alternatively, without the media rack you can still attach the tunze inside the back of the RSM 130 via a magnet.

Both options work fine and do not poke out the back of the unit. I went for the SteveT collection cup also as it is square and fits better.

It is whisper quiet and pulls out more scum than the stock skimmer which seemed to require too much constant fiddling with the air valve and was way too noisy for a lounge.

TonyV

Congrats on your purchase. You will only need the extra magnet set if you attach the skimmer to the back. There is already 1 set of magnets in the correct position for the media rack.

proenca

Cool thank you Tony and thanks for your help via PM while clearing some doubts with the Tunze : you've been very helpfull !

One question : if the magnet stays on the media rack both parts of the magnet will stay submerged correct ?

wont it be bad ? shouldnt one part of the magnet be always outside of the tank ? wont it corrode ?

TonyV

The magnet is encased in plastic. Both magnets are submerged but the water doesn't touch the magnet.

TonyV

Never tried but I think I have read that some people have done it. It's just epoxied on to the skimmer body.

redsea reefer

Never tried but I think I have read that some people have done it. It's just epoxied on to the skimmer body.

Hey TonyV,

You still running the Tunze or EuroReef? I could not stand the ER

Which one you like more...Pro's & Con's of Tunze...

TonyV

I am running the Tunze. I have both the Tunze and the EuroReef. The EuroReef prevented me from running any mechanical filtration like filter floss which made my back chambers filthy. The EuroReef may have produced more skimmate but that may because there was no filter floss as a preliminary filter. There is no substitute for mechanical filtration. The EuroReef is quieter than the Tunze. The EuroReef also had two power cords that were very stiff which made it nearly impossible to route into the existing power panel. The Tunze has one. My EuroReef also never stopped producing micro-bubbles. I feel that the pumps were actually too strong for the volume of the skimmer body. People do have lots of success with the EuroReef so it must be good. I think the decrease in micro-bubbles could be the result in decreased pump performance as it wears out but I wasn't willing to wait that long. I posted all my thoughts and comments and gave an honest comparison on both skimmers in the EuroReef thread. Check back a few pages.

redsea reefer

My EuroReef also never stopped producing micro-bubbles.

Thats the same reason I returned mine. Thanks TonyV

The Tunze is quieter than the rsm skimmer right. It's in the same room i sleep in. I've been sleeping with the rsm skimmer going at night so a quieter one is a MAJOR plus. Sometimes I get tired of hearing it so i turn it off when i go to sleep.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Tony, so if I order the inTank media rack, the set of magnets that come with the Tunze are sufficient to hold the skimmer in place ? attached to the media rack ?

12459025170111359501057.jpeg

proenca you have PM.

I have a tunze 9002nano also, im looking also to replace the RSM 130D skimmer with the Tunze skimmer.

The Tunze has the attached epoxy magnet, and also an additional one for outside the tank, does this mean I only need to order the rack?

Im sorry im new to having a RSM and a novice at best can somebody help me? Is there a thread on this or any photos or video on what I have to do?