How to prune Xenia?

Myron

I would like to thin out some of my Xenia. Is it possible cut it while still in the display tank? Would it give off toxins? Scissors O.K.? Pulled up?

Thanks, Myron

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't know how others do it but I was VERY careful at first now I just cut it while IN the DT and take it out to glue to the rock/shell. It's WAY easy to do and I have cut MANY right there in the tank. They give off some type of "spray" when cut but it doesn't seem to be anything at all negative.

Allen

Kirblit

Just cut it off, no ill effects. The problem arises when you go to put it on another rock. That is prob. some of the most slippery stuff known to man. Xenia really slimes up a lot when you mess with it and I have never been able to glue it because of that. I use a piece of rubble and a couple of rubber bands and it seems to work fine, in about 3-4 days the Xenia reattaches to the rubble. Good luck

Witfull

i cut it, and drop it in a plastic cup with some sand. it will grip the sand and then can me glued anywhere.

or if i need it faster, i let it sit upside down on a towel. when the foot dries (30 minutes or so) i put glue on the foot, and press some rubble onto the foot. give it a minute to set up and insta-frag~

hammel

I just trimmed back a ton of xenia that were blocking the light to some other corals I have. I just used a 1/4 inch vinyl tube and created a siphon. I sucked a bunch of xenia into the tube and cut it while it was being pulled straight by the suction. Did it during a water change so it was a cinch. Of course, this won't work as well if you're trying to frag it. I very highly doubt this is still a problem for you 3 years later, but if someone else searches "how to prune xenia," I hope it helps :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif