how to promote chalice growth rate

ksicard

I just got a fancy new chalice and I'm looking for ways to provide optimal growth rates as chalices tend to be a new type of coral for me. I have a 75g SPS dominant tank so my parameters are pretty clean and I'm just curious what type of environment do they favor and do feedings of meaty foods help? I'm guessing yes on the feedings but what size? Like for acans they eat anything and SPS require small micron sized foods, so what do chalices require for feedings, and also high light, med light, or low light? Thanks again! I'll post pics soon.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Unfortunately, these are some of the slowest growing corals, imo. They typically like lower light. I have mine on the bottom of the tank or in partially shaded areas. I occasionally feed mine mysis when I see their feeding tentacles at night but that's not very often. They will do well without direct feeding. Good luck, they can be some of the prettiest most colorful corals out there. The article above is a nice synopsis and a quick read. Thanks for the link.

ReefApprentice

These corals are very slow growers! My mummy eye, flamethrower, golden eye, raspberry smoothie, and toxic pie are all slow growers and usually grow 1-4 eyes a month. That's about at best 1/4 of a inch. My Hollywood stunner grows crazy for about 2 inches a month. These corals can be fed when their feeder tentacles are out at night. Not all chalices have feeders though. I do feed my mummy eye and flamethrower small pieces of brine with a coral feeder every 3 nights. I keep my chalices in medium to low light(towards the bottom of my tank)-if its too high they will not expand and bleach.