How to install UV sterilizer in Red Sea Max 250?

hmoon623

Hello. I am a new member. :fingerx:

I have lost 3 fish (two due to ick problems and 1 (trigger) - I don't know why).
So, I looked up internet, and decided to try UV sterilizer in my RSM 250.
Chemical is not an option for my reef tank (Not heavy but some - about 6 months old).

So, If anyone have installed UV Sterilizer in your RSM 250, would you show me how you installed?

Thanks.

Stephane Cote

Hello. I am a new member. :fingerx:

I have lost 3 fish (two due to ick problems and 1 (trigger) - I don't know why).
So, I looked up internet, and decided to try UV sterilizer in my RSM 250.
Chemical is not an option for my reef tank (Not heavy but some - about 6 months old).

So, If anyone have installed UV Sterilizer in your RSM 250, would you show me how you installed?

Thanks.

now, please note before i start that im new to saltwater aquarium and my info should be taken as such... however, i believe that this may not resolve your problem entirely. here is why;

I do have experience with UV sanitizers.. my pool uses a unit. if we look at how they work, we realize that they kill off living organisms when they enter the light chamber, essentially having 'life free water' that exists. the problem is that in pools, the bacteria/viruses are not all 'instantly cleaned' meaning that the water inside the pool sill holds bacteria/viruses etc. if you want to have 100% clean water you need to cycle it through that UV canister at a very rapid rate... (if you get my drift).

hold on a moment, im still talking about pools ;). so to 'counter' this effect we shock the pool killing everything alive with shock. if you own a pool or someone who does, you know what im talking about. once the water is cleanse, i turn on my UV sanitizer to keep the 'blooms' of bacteria and viruses in check. to prevent the water in my pool from slowly starting up a new colonie before the water is cycled back into the UV system, i put chlorine in the pool. However, since the water is so 'purified' the levels at which i can keep it bacteria/viruses free are much much lower then those without the UV doing the heavy lifting. I have my pool sitting at .03 ppms instead of .07 to 1.0 ppms. This allows my wife/friends who are sensitive to chlorine to still enjoy my pool without converting it to saltwater (which we all know can destroy system/parts very quickly)

with all that being said, im trying to use my knowledge of pools with the problem you are facing.. if the ick remains in the tank/fish, the UV will not do anything. and if you dont cycle your water fast enough, the bacteria inside the aquarium will have enough time to reproduce and continue to grow it's culture (if that makes any sense).

My friend however explained to me that most parasites in low salt salinity (and please please verify this...) so he setup a medic tank, with water salinity at the lowest he can set it for fish to survive (i forget the #). he keeps the fish in that tank for a few days/weeks until he knows they are clean. once he confirms, he transfers them back

hope my info helps somewhat

Steph

reefer gladness

UV sterilizer is a deterrent not a cure for marine ich.

Are you following quarantine procedures for your fish? Do you have a hospital/quarantine tank setup? The only cures for marine ich are hyposalinity or copper treatments and never both at the same time.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Good advise ^

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html