How to install a chiller in RSM 250

brintlev

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please tell me how to install a chiller to the rsm 250?

I got my chiller today, And I am wondering how to install it, because when I look in the rsm manual, it says on page 39 that i should place a chiller pump in the right chamber beneath the 1200 litre pump and conect this to a hose and conect it to the accessorie kit.

But I thought that the water would be sucked down by itself to the chiller and then after the water have pased the chiller then got pump up by an external returnpump, isn't that right?

And how do I exactly place the tubes inside the chamber, the one which sucks water, and the one which press water?

best regards
Christian

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
The manual gives instructions for using an internal pump, you're thinking about an external pump. You'll have to decide which you're going to have first...

tnwillia

Brucewrs has a thread in the RSM owners club (on page 4 or 5 today) called "My first RSM 250 mod!!pics" Read thru this.

Part of his mods were adding his chiller. I followed his build here and we talk about pump he used and how to make it fit in the right chamber. He has since gone to an external pump and I'm doing the same once my sump/fuge is built. But his build works fine. THe catch is getting a pump to fit in that chamber big enough to push to your chiller and back to the tank.

In short, you get rid of the RSM #2 pump in the right chamber. You use your submersable pump in the right chamber to pump the water to your chiller thru one side of the assy kit. Then you send your chiller return thru the other assy kit connector back into the right chamber and into the main tank area thru the wall where the #2 pump head use to be.

In my case, I just ran my chiller hose to the same output nozzle that was connected to the original #2 pump.

It's easy to do, draw yourself a picture and then build it. Lots will depend on your chiller flow requirements and size connectors/hose you use.

Have fun!

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
.... and I used an internal pump. Small maxijet 1200 using smaller 12mm tubing, set up per rsm manual except I didn't use accessory kit - because I need space for my ATO pipe.

Nowellsy SNR

Not to hard if you read the instructions that came with the Chiller you will get your head around it maybe have a few spills lol like i did, oh and dont forget to install stop connections to each line for maintaining

brucewrs

Brucewrs has a thread in the RSM owners club (on page 4 or 5 today) called "My first RSM 250 mod!!pics" Read thru this.

Part of his mods were adding his chiller. I followed his build here and we talk about pump he used and how to make it fit in the right chamber. He has since gone to an external pump and I'm doing the same once my sump/fuge is built. But his build works fine. THe catch is getting a pump to fit in that chamber big enough to push to your chiller and back to the tank.

In short, you get rid of the RSM #2 pump in the right chamber. You use your submersable pump in the right chamber to pump the water to your chiller thru one side of the assy kit. Then you send your chiller return thru the other assy kit connector back into the right chamber and into the main tank area thru the wall where the #2 pump head use to be.

In my case, I just ran my chiller hose to the same output nozzle that was connected to the original #2 pump.

It's easy to do, draw yourself a picture and then build it. Lots will depend on your chiller flow requirements and size connectors/hose you use.

Have fun!

Very well stated...Here are the links...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/44162-my-first-rsm-250-mod-pics.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/48146-changed-pumps-went-external.html

Here's mine with an external pump. My overflow takes water out of the tank to my wet/dry filter. Then my pump (It's blue) take it out of the filter and pumps it and pumps in into the input of the chiller and pushes it back to the tank. Don't forget a ball valve and or a swing check valve!

DSCF1483.jpg

DSCF1484.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

DSCF1473.jpg

tnwillia

DF&S has Eheim Green hose. I used "large" 16 to 22mm and it fit, I put ty-raps on it to be sure.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
5/8 inch = 0.625 inch = 15.875 mm

19mm - too big or too small? If it's a bit too tight you could try heating that end in some hot water and it might make it more pliable.