How to frag the monti in this situation..

malau

I purchased a monit frag about a month ago and now it grows reaching to 2 edges of the frag plug. How can I frag it (if it is mature enough)? Should I try to use a knife or something crack the monti which is already at the one side (the edge) of the frag plug? or glue a tiny stone on the edge? or any other suggestion

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Are you wanting to remove it from the Frag Plug or are you just wanting to frag it?

A picture would help tremendously to know exactly what you have and what you're trying to accomplish.

:)

malau

hi big nice to c u again
31567910150438290393064.jpg
t want to frag the one on the right when it reaches the edge thx

TylerHaworth

Eek, it's still way too small... Id give it a good couple more months before I started fragging it out. All it really takes to frag will be to pry a "flake" off with a blade and glue it to a rock/plug

malau

Thanks for everyone reply. Just wonder what if it grow over the frag plug/rocks before I can frag it? what should I do as this is/will be my first time to frag monti. Also how can i tell if the size is ok to be fragged?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
When they get 12 inches across u can simply break off pieces. I get it.
But when it's that small it's like trying to share 1 piece of corn. I don't understand why you would frag something that small n risk damaging it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You "can" frag it at any time you like but I like to have a fairly large and healthy mother colony before I start breaking it apart.

Depending on water conditions, light conditions and overall health of the coral it could be a few months to several months before it's large enough to frag. Also if it's an encrusting coral it could take a good long time to acclimate and completely encrust the disc.

malau

Thanks all.

I will wait for few months when it is large enough then. Just wonder what should I do if it grow over the flag plate and started going on the eggcreate as it is in my frag tank. Should I glue this frag to a rock / stone and let it grow?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Put the disk on a rock. Let it grow down the disk and onto the rock. Then once there is a good chunk on the rock just remove the disk - instant frag.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
If u move it now n then it won't attach. It will grow n u will b fine. Good call on waiting. Montis break easy u will b fine. Wish u the best.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

malau

Put the disk on a rock. Let it grow down the disk and onto the rock. Then once there is a good chunk on the rock just remove the disk - instant frag.

Actually I was think of this idea. Glue the new frag disc on the rock with the monti. Let it grow over it but then how can I remove the disc?

malau

Because what I am doing now is I have another 2 new frag disc with a tiny stone on it. I placed these disc next to the monti frag and let it grow over it.. what do you guys think?

catran

I waited until my monti grew over the entire plug. Then I took a dremel wih a diamond saw blade and cut it in half. I'm giving one away, but I'm going to put the other on a large 2" disk to grow over. I had another monti in my tank and I left the plug on my rock for months. It attached to the rock and since I removed the plug, it's grown quite a bit onto the rock. You just need to decide what you want. I for one am not sure I want the monti growing over my large rock. But, you can put it on a small rock...