how to build a kreisel for jellyfish

Irukandji dream

hello!
I would like to build a kreisel tank for jellyfish by myself.
does anyone have a project or some advice or suggestions? I can't understand the water flow so I would be very grateful if anyone could help me to understand!
thank you!

DaveK

Usually such tanks are drum shaped, with the drum being vertical. The water is introduced at the edge in a direction so it runs a around the edge of the drum, creating a slow circular motion. The drain is usually in the center of the drum.

The slow circular motion keeps the jellyfish away from the drain, and because it's a round tank, they can't easily get caught on anything.

PEMfish

Jellyfish are a hard type to keep and are not readily available. I recomend against them.

chrome91

have you kept a saltwater tank before? if this is your first time i would start with something easier than jellyfish

Jeremy0322

I believe he is just researching the tank because he said in another post its his dream project. Hes a biologist and has a small tank with some hard corals too...haha. When it does happen though we better see some pictures!!! sounds super sweet :drooool:

Irukandji dream

I believe he is just researching the tank because he said in another post its his dream project. Hes a biologist and has a small tank with some hard corals too...haha. When it does happen though we better see some pictures!!! sounds super sweet :drooool:

thank you jeremy, and thanks to everyone!
I'm searching for a project, for something easy to build...but I know how to keep jellyfish, my problem is to build the tank!!
In Italy where I live I found two shops that sell jellyfish in particular phyllorhiza punctuata...but I hope one day to keep some box jellyfish and understand something more about their behaviour...

Luukosian

I've been to a few public aquariums that have the tanks your talking about. Maybe you could get in touch with someone that has built one for a place like that. There is also that midwater systems that sells those jelly tanks for ridiculous sums of cash.

Jeremy0322

The sad thing is I dont think you really see "natural" behavior by anything in this hobby, maybe a snail or hermit crab or something but thats about it. Taking something from the ocean and making it live in any sized tank aside from the largest ones out there will change the behavior of the fish somehow, its just one of the things you really cant get around.

Stacef

I see that you mentioned someday you want a box jellyfish. I was actually just watching a hour special on them on TV. They swim 10 MILES a day. They put a tracker on the jellyfish and tracked it s every move. I don't see how keeping these unless in an aquarium would be 'friendly'. I agree it would very neat to have, but like Jeremy states, we don't really see the 'natural' behavior of the fish unless we give it a massive sized tank.

Irukandji dream

The sad thing is I dont think you really see "natural" behavior by anything in this hobby, maybe a snail or hermit crab or something but thats about it. Taking something from the ocean and making it live in any sized tank aside from the largest ones out there will change the behavior of the fish somehow, its just one of the things you really cant get around.

I agree but when I said behaviuor I didn't mean this...jellyfish are very ancient and I considered them the perfect animals...very simple in appearance,but at the same time extremely complex...I would like to study them and learn and understand something more expecially about box jellyfish...for example many mounths ago I saw a doc on Nat Geo about jellyfish of the monterey aquarium...they did some experiments in the tanks and they understood that box jellyfish can distinguish some colors...it is very important this thing...in Italy doctor Nando Boero discovered the immortal jellyfish Turritopsis nutricola, a jellyfish tha never dies...after the adult stage this animal doesn't die and turn back to the polip stage...moreover it could be very interesting to understand what kind of peptidic venom these animals use and try to isolate it... so building a tank to keep jellyfish to discover something important about them could be very helpful,couldn't it?

please sorry my english!

l3fty999

I agree but when I said behaviuor I didn't mean this...jellyfish are very ancient and I considered them the perfect animals...very simple in appearance,but at the same time extremely complex...I would like to study them and learn and understand something more expecially about box jellyfish...for example many mounths ago I saw a doc on Nat Geo about jellyfish of the monterey aquarium...they did some experiments in the tanks and they understood that box jellyfish can distinguish some colors...it is very important this thing...in Italy doctor Nando Boero discovered the immortal jellyfish Turritopsis nutricola, a jellyfish tha never dies...after the adult stage this animal doesn't die and turn back to the polip stage...moreover it could be very interesting to understand what kind of peptidic venom these animals use and try to isolate it... so building a tank to keep jellyfish to discover something important about them could be very helpful,couldn't it?

please sorry my english!

I agree, maybe the behavior might not be perfectly natural, but you could potentially learn a lot anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this might be starting to sound like "should I or shouldn't I keep an octopus?"

rmlevasseur

Many marine biologists feel the jellies will take over our oceans at the rate we are going. Its kinda known in marine biology circles as "the rise of slime", and has to do with the growing spots of oxygen-deprived waters.

altpro

If someone is to keep any marine species in a tank, a jellyfish is a humane choice:
1) They are overpopulated in the wild
2) They have no central nervous system

As long as they are well cared for, they actually survive longer in captivity than they do in the wild. In the wild, predators eat chunks of their tissue, they get tossed around in storms, they get parasites living inside them and they generally deteriorate in health within several months. I know someone who has kept his jellyfish alive in his tank for 8 years and counting...

The jellyfish has a very different look in an aquarium. They look like living art forms, very alien. If you want to try keeping them in a tank I would encourage it. There are some inexpensive tanks available here: Jellyfish Aquarium - Buy Jellyfish Tanks and Aquariums