How to build a fuge???

caitrina

Fuges "confuge" me! :lol: The building of them anyway, so many ways to do it and all boils down to almost exactly like the other..

tbittner

I've seen designs where the actual fuge is elevated a bit so water can flow under it. It would be interesting to put food coloring in one to actually SEE the water flow. Does the water just flow across the top of the water?

VegasReefer

Ok so this is going to be your only sump? There are a couple of options for this then. If you are going to have high water turnover in the sump.. ie. over 120 gph you would be better splitting your drain line and placing the fuge against the right side, have the left side be your main drain / skimmer section, and have both of them low into the center. To accomplish this you would make the following changes:
1: Move Baffle " D " 12" from right side glass.
2: Add a Baffle " B " 1 1/2" to the left of Baffle " D "
3: Add Tab's on both baffle " D " and the new " B ", 1 to 1 1/2 down from the top of " D " so you can add Light Crate ( the 1/4 or 1/8 inch egg crate like stuff they put in florescent lighting in buildings ) on top of this you will be putting some sort of floss or other item to catch any stray algae.
4: Add a Baffle that connects to Baffle " A " and the Left wall of the tank. Make it the same hight as " A ", but with a 1 3/8" gap at the bottom so water can flow under it. Place it so it makes a Box 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" This is where the Main drain line will be put. This will take all the turbulent flow from the drain and leave you with a Fast smooth ( laminar flow) in the remaining area between the left side and Baffle " A " this is where you would put the pump for your skimmer.

To make the flow work, you would " T " off the Drain line from your tank. Have the flow go strait through the T from the tank to the Main sump area ( box we just made ) from the T's off part , put a ball valve to restrict the flow a little or a lot. If you don't want to T the drain hose, you can T the Return line with a ball valve on it like before.

If the flow is going to be slow because you are using power heads in the tank, you can leave the set up like I had it before, and just add the Drain Box I described in step 4, and another baffle like I describe in step 2 and 3, just moving Baffle " D " to the left 1 1/2" to make up for the extra baffle.

Hope that Makes sense. My sketch it skill's are seriously lacking when i am actually awake :smirk:

If not, just say so here, and I will try to get another sketch done in the morning when my wifes snoring drives me out of the bedroom.

tbittner

Theodore, I thought you did a FANTASTIC job with that sketch! Just curious, what software did you use to put that together?

VegasReefer

tbittner: I used Google SketchUp. Its free and rather intuitive to use. Once you get the basics down it is almost fun.

You can get it at Google SketchUp - Home

There was a good tutorial on Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine that will give you the basics on making a tank the easy way.
Feature Article: 3D Modeling for Aquarium Projects

Once you have that down here is a bunch of stuff to tinker with for refining your sketches. : Google Help > SketchUp Help > Using SketchUp > Using the SketchUp Tools

I haven't gone through most of them, but I need to. I am sketching up the 118x46x30 in wall tank i want to build along with the plumbing that will go under the flooring into a sump room built in the garage. I think Taking the hour or 2 to read through all of them will make up for the 5 extra days it would probably take me to do it the Hard way ( read: I don't like reading instructions :smirk: )

There are a bunch of premade sketches. Some commercial pumps, skimmers, lighting systems ect. are already rendered, all you have to do is find them on the sketch up library.

As always hope I was of help.
Theodore H.

VegasReefer

Hmm.. Wonder why my reply didn't go through yesterday. I wrought up a nice walk through on what I use.... witch is Google SketchUp BTW.

I will type it up again for you.

VegasReefer

tbittner: I used Google SketchUp. Its free and rather intuitive to use. Once you get the basics down it is almost fun.

You can get it at Google SketchUp - Home

There was a good tutorial on Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine that will give you the basics on making a tank the easy way.
Feature Article: 3D Modeling for Aquarium Projects

Once you have that down here is a bunch of stuff to tinker with for refining your sketches. : Google Help > SketchUp Help > Using SketchUp > Using the SketchUp Tools

I haven't gone through most of them, but I need to. I am sketching up the 118x46x30 in wall tank i want to build along with the plumbing that will go under the flooring into a sump room built in the garage. I think Taking the hour or 2 to read through all of them will make up for the 5 extra days it would probably take me to do it the Hard way ( read: I don't like reading instructions :smirk: )

There are a bunch of premade sketches. Some commercial pumps, skimmers, lighting systems ect. are already rendered, all you have to do is find them on the sketch up library.

As always hope I was of help.
Theodore H.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks VegasReefer for that information. I have downloaded it and plan to tinker with it some over the weekend.

Allen :)