How to build a fuge???

Hi guys,

I am going to upgrade my sump to a fuge I am going to use a 20 gal glass aquarium. My father in law is a glass worker been doing glass work for 30 years. He said he will build it for me if I get him plans anyone have some good ideas on how to build it? I want to keep using my aquaC remora skimmer just hang it on the fuge instead of the tank. I need to know baffle placement as well as how many baffles. I also need a spot to put live rock as I am going to get rid of my bioballs. I guess I need a spot that has slower flow that I put a light over with some sand and green stuff in it not sure what the green stuff is but have seen it in pictures. Any pics or help would be great remember I am real new so you guys will have to really explain it to me I have read tons of links people have given in other threads but they talk over my head in the links I am real new 1st tank.

Thanks so much,
Dan

Melanie

I just did a quick search on google images and found many designs for a "20 gallon refugium".

You could use one of those or modify it to your liking.

Hey guys I have checked out the links you have showed me but none havd a HOT skimmer like I am going to use. I have done a quick drawing I will post in a min let me know if you guys think this will work. I want to get rid of my bio balls think they are putting nitrates in my tank.

tbittner

Hi SN,

The only difference between designs that you find on the internet that show a skimmer sitting in the sump is that your skimmer will hang on the side of the sump. The layout of the sump/refugium wouldn't change. :)

Love your avatar too! :lol:

I know that but I know it gose live rock skimmer fuge then return but not sure how to get the HOT skimmer to have the pump in the water if its hanging high up on the fuge

Anselth

What kind of skimmer are you using? All you have to do is set the baffle in the skimmer section to keep the water level high enough to keep the pump in the water. You can drop the level in the fuge and return sections if you want by making the baffles shorter.

tbittner

Doesn't the pump on the remora attach to the inlet via a piece of vinyl hose? Couldn't you just get a longer piece of hose?

boozeman

is this a fuge or a sump you want to build?
is it something that you will attach to a sump...I'm a bit confused?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think it's a fuge/Sump tank .. which is a sump with a slow-flow area in the middle if I am on the right page (been wrong a FEW times before).

Allen :)

tbittner

I don't think making the hose 3 or 4 inches longer will make any difference. I mean, you're planning on hanging the remora on the side of the sump/fuge, right? So you only need to extend the hose for the pump a little bit, and not a foot or more, right?

VegasReefer

Here is a Quick sketch, not all dimensions are correct, so small tweeks will need to be made.
20_Gallon_Sump.jpg

Tweeks that should be made:
1: Adjust the distance between the wall and Baffle " A " to accommodate your skimmer pump. This area can also be used for Chemical filtration if needed.
2: Adjust the Hight of Baffle " A " so that the watter in that compartment will be high enough for your skimmer to work.
3: Adjust Hight of Baffles " C " and " D " so your refugium has the water depth you want.
4: Make Baffles out of opaque glass to prevent algae build up in other compartments.

Hope that helps a little.

Theodore H.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great sketch VegasReefer! I like the look of that.

Your ideas look very good and I REALLY like the idea of opaque glass baffles to help cut down on light bleed between compartments.

Allen

ScubaDrew

Great diagram Vegas - I have this EXACT sump. From what I've read refuge's typically have slower water flow though. I use the center area for my skimmer... I would make a seperate refuge I think since the water flow through this is very high.

Only last thought is I wish i had a second bubble trap on the right. When i change my filter sock, my crazy skimmer goes nuts, or the water level drops enough so the water fall creates bubbles - I get micro bubbles in the display via the return pump. :drool:

Really, this design works very wll 95% of the time though!

Drew

goldenmean

I have a tunze skimmer and they reccommend a calmer area for their skimmer placement. Having the skimmer in the same section that the water enters the sump could cause your skimmer to be less effective. I just made a diy sump and I used a baffle between the water intake and the skimmer section to calm the water down before it gets to the skimmer.
I have a couple of good pics of it in my gallery.

I have seen fuges on the opposite end of the water intake with the return pump in the middle. either the overflow plumbis is split in to with water going into the sump in both sections. Or return plumbing is routed both the tank and to the fuge section.
Just some other ideas!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but wouldn't the bottom part of the center section BE a slow flow area? Depending on the water level (determined by the height of the baffles on either side of it) the lower section would be slow flow/fuge area. Or am I totally looking at it wrong?

In some larger fuge systems the owner re-directed the water flow back against a side wall there-by allowing the flow to slow down and "soften" before reaching the main fugal (is that a word) area.