How often to CBS molt?

Hey all,
I've had a CBS in my QT for about 5 weeks now, and last night he molted for the 2nd time!
Just wondering how often they molt?

cheers

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's one of those VARIABLE questions. It depends on health of the animal, age of the animal, and many other factors. When I first got mine it molted probably 10x in 6 months and now I don't know if it's molting even once a month.

Jeremy0322

The molting process goes directly with the Iodine amount in the water I do believe, which is one of the reasons in smaller systems they tend to molt right after a water change. in larger systems though it doesnt have the same effect

well that doesn't quite fit with my situation... I've been a bad boy and havent changed the water in 3 weeks... I was about to change it when I noticed the molt happening. I changed the water immediately after.

BobBursek

I am no expert, but mine molts about every 4-5 weeks but it depends on there growth, Iodine in excess will cause premature molting, that is why with water changes, it is not needed to dose Iodine.

r2d2

Mine molts every 5 or 6 weeks. I haven't notice if it happens after a water change or any other event in tank.