How noisy is RSM s-400?

Greetings everyone!
This is my first post here, so bare with me :)!

I was just planning to buy my first reef tank and almost ended up with the RSM 250 which I found great! However, simply by turning out the T5 noticed that the hood noise due to 4+2 fans was simply unaccepted when placing the tank in a super quiet room next to TV!

So, how quiet is S-400 as compared to S250 model? or in general? Any one with the S-400?

Any other option for a started that want to have a super quiet tank next to TV?

Are there any noiselevel comparisons between Red Sea Tanks?

Many thanks for the help!
YellowTang

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! Start a tank thread so we can follow your journey!

jjongmans

I have a S500. I'm going to replace the returnpump and skimmer because of the noise level. Some say that the RSM S-Line is whisper quiet, but mine sure isn't.

Thanks for the hint! I also got a private massage from a s400 owner about the same problem! He had changed both of the units that you just mentioned and he is now very happy! So, hopefully it works out for you as well!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

jvelkgrove

I have RSM-250 thats about 8-10 feet away from my TV. I've had the system for just over a year now and have never had any noise issues, Maybe i'm just lucky? It's not "Whisper" quiet but I don't have to blast the TV....

Wolffman64

Hi and welcome to RS!
I have a 250 that I've had for a year and a half, and as my esteemed colleague above says, it's not whisper quiet, but not that noisy either.

The two things that are noisy with the 250 are the cooling fans in the back and the skimmer IMO. The cooling fans are pretty useless anyway (I have completely removed them) if you live in anything but "arctic" climate, since these tanks runs hot and require a chiller (which also creates "noise", but it doesn't run continuously). With the chilling fans gone, it's not bad, especially if you have the skimmer on a timer, and only run it during nights and early in the day when you are not at home.

I am however upgrading to a S500 in 3 days, so obviously can't comment from my own experience, but most S500 and S650 owners in here have really quiet tanks (with a bit of fiddling), and almost all agree that the S400/500/650 are much more quiet than the 250. It is also a completely different tank, so the choice between a 400 and a 250 should be based upon price/performance/solution and not the noise in my opinion.

Good luck with your selection, we are looking forward to you tank thread!:chair:

Thanks Jan! This is very helpful! I agree about the investments, etc. The only point that I had was if you pay thousands to have a beautiful tank, but can not seat next to it due to noise, what is the point :)
I guess as you said if S400 is quieter than 250 and after possibly changing the sump filterto Eheim and changing the skimmer to Deltec, then I hope it would be quiet enough :)
Thanks for all the feedback so far and welcome notes!
This is a superb forum!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My RSM 250 6 inches from TV - constantly watching football & the tank ... very little noise :) my key for noise suppression is keeping the water topped off, only noise I hear is when it gets low...

09f82d2e.jpg

Choff

My 650 is next to my TV and the only sound issue I have is with the skimmer pump. I have turn it off to watch TV most nights. Some shows its OK, but it can drown out quiet dialog. Any chiller you add will be louder than anything else though. My jbj us one of the quieter ones and it's way loud for TV. My return pump and power heads are all whisper quiet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2