How much would you pay?

LiVEWiRE

Here is a picture of a rock covered with different kinds of corals that I bought this weekend at SeaSave. It is totally covered. So how much is it worth? I will let you know after all input has been submitted.
059_1_Medium_.jpg
[/IMG]

ReefGuy69

Not sure how much its worth but cuz of you i emailed them since they are close to NY to see what they would charge to ship me my CUC. thanks hopefully they come through for me. They seem to have all the snails/shrimps i need for my CUC.

LiVEWiRE

But wait theres more. lol just kidding. That one cost me $100. Its about 11" around. I cant count how many polyps are on it. But they go all the way around as you can see with in the glass reflection. The clam I got was only $40. Shrums $40. Frags were $15 and $20. They had a few other Nice ones at $30. and I paid $25 for each seahorse. Candy cane was also $15. And I got another rock smaller with some orange polyps on it. I could have gotten another one of the big ones like in the picture for $75 But I wanted to add what I bought and go from there. When I go back I will most likely buy 2 more. So what do you all think. Pretty good prices I thought. And like alot of you said my LFS would be much higher on all of these prices.

panmanmatt

. and I paid $25 for each seahorse.

Are the seahorses in the tank with the clam and candy cane? I surely hope not as they are not suitable tank mates for the seahorses. Clams can/will close on a seahorse as it tries to hitch on onto it. The candy cane can/will sting a seahorse.

Seahorses are not reef animals and should not be kept in a typical reef set up. They need cooler waters and a lot less flow than we keep in our reef tanks. 74 being about the maximum temp you want in a seahorse tank.

What other corals and fish do you have in the tank? Seahorses are slow eaters and as such should not be housed with fast moving or aggressively eating fish.

What are your seahorses eating? What type of seahorse are they? Captive bred or wild caught?

If you are going to keep them, I'd like to help you get them in a proper set up so your experience with them is enjoyable.

LiVEWiRE

Well panmanmatt I did not know that seahorses don't do good with clams makes sense though I have another tank a 20 gallon that I can setup to house the seahorses. There are no fish in the tank yet. and I feed them Mysis shrimp with vitamins added to them. They are tank raised as far as I know. I cant remember what type they are but they are black in color. Here is a pic of one of them.

059_Medium_.jpg

Last edited:

panmanmatt

Well the 20 gallon will do for a short time but really a 29 gallon is the bare minimum I would suggest for 1 pair of seahorses. I am sure they are small now but will most likely reach an adult size of about 6-8 inches tall maybe even more depending on species.

Seahorse require a taller tank instead of a longer one. Usually 2-3 times the horses adult height

Unfortunately from an ID standpoint black means nothing. Seahorses can and will change colour.

If you can get me a couple clear pictures of them I can help you ID them. This way we can set up a system best suited to them.

You can also look here and see if your's looks like any of them.
Seahorses

I am gonna narrow it down to 3 possible species for you for right now. But without seeing them I can't be certain. H. reidi, H. kuda or H. erectus.