How much evaporation in an RSM 130D?

tondc529

Hi All,

I am just wondering what the typical amount of evaporation is in a 130D, so that I can ensure my auto top-up reservoir is big enough that I only need to fill it once a week.

I live in Liverpool in the UK, so it's probably UK RSM owners who can help me in the main, as I'm conscious it's a little warmer in California that over here!!

Any info you can give will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Tony

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tony if it helps... we keep our home about 69-73 inside year round. I have been adding topoff water at about a pint every other day.

I also have been doing weekly water changes of 10% or about 3 to 3 1/2 gallons.

echopiece

Yeah, I was right around 1 to 1.5 pints per day! My house house runs much warmer 75-78 degrees. Now with the chiller, I am half that - if not less! :eek:lsmile:

StevieT

RS Sponsor
With the stock hood I was going through 3-4 gallons/week. With the MH light I have now I am up to 6-7 in the winter months. Summer months to be tested.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thincat - just fyi - it's a Red Sea Max 130D (model) 34 gallon tank - you are reading post in Red Sea Max Owners Club & the RSM only have two size tanks, the 130 (34 gal) and the 250 (64 gal) :)

VP Clown

I live in the UK, in the north east.
At the moment I am topping up 3 - 5 litres per week only. At the height of the last summer :shades: those from America might not have realised we had a heatwave here in the UK last year and sometimes the outside temperatures were damn nearly in the 80's F, I was topping up a couple of litres per day. But that is because I was cooling with a 6"clip on fan blasting over the top of the water, causes evaporation to cool.
This year I intend to add a chiller to try to avoid the excess evaporation, and also cos I didn't like the front flap being open and an ugly clip on desk fan attached to the tank :coffee2:

HTH Andy

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
heatwave here in the UK last year and sometimes the outside temperatures were damn nearly in the 80's F
028.gif

Always funny for me to hear 80's described as heat wave, it will be near 85 here today & we consider that a mild spring day, we think of heat wave down in the south only when it gets to triple digits 100>

We do all have air conditioning & high electric bills in the hundreds of dollars to prove it
025.gif

tondc529

Thanks for all the reponses guys, that gives me a good feel for how much I'll need.

I think the 10 litre container I have will suffice for the majority of the time, but obviously if we have another heatwave :yup: I'll have to top it up more often than once a week.

Cheers guys.

Tony

VP Clown

028.gif

Always funny for me to hear 80's described as heat wave, it will be near 85 here today & we consider that a mild spring day, we think of heat wave down in the south only when it gets to triple digits 100>

We do all have air conditioning & high electric bills in the hundreds of dollars to prove it
025.gif

I really was being ironic, we have quite a wierd climate here, and only hit these dizzy heights for a few weeks a year, and then it would probably p**s down with rain
Andy

Sapphire

We probably go through an average of 3- 4 litres a week, but it does vary quite a bit depending on the weather. I also noticed we get heaps more evaporation since I added the Tunze nanostream (we're running stock hood and lights).

I certainly find you need to keep a pretty close eye on it, especially when it's hot.