How much do you love (or not love) your RSM?

Desmond

You can easily start stock for the tank but the upgrades i would do straight away would be a Tunze Auto top up unit and a Vortec MP10 for extra flow in your tank.
The only downside to the RSM skimmers is they are loud and also the fans inside the hood make your tank sound like a plane taking off the runway.
But these are easy things to fix in time.If you have very hot summers where you live i would very much consider a chiller unit so you dont figure out too late that you temperature has gone too high.

MJ_15

Sounds like good advice, thanks guys.

I managed to stop in an LFS this afternoon and saw the tank(s) in person. I'm now wondering if I have a good spot that has enough space, it's somehow bigger than I was picturing! I may end up having to drop down to the 130. I'm going to do some measurements to see what might work. I do have spots in my basement (which is finished) that could accommodate it but that's just not what I was picturing. I really wanted the tank in an area that we are in frequently. The larger side of our basement is pretty much our kids playroom and though there are several spots the tank could go I just don't really want it there. The other side is essentially a workout room. There is a good wall for it but its not an area we hang out in (unless passing through or using the workout equipment). I would like the tank to be in a more common area so I'm going to have to see what I can work out. I might have to sacrifice size in order to do that….

Pat24601

Sounds like good advice, thanks guys.

I managed to stop in an LFS this afternoon and saw the tank(s) in person. I'm now wondering if I have a good spot that has enough space, it's somehow bigger than I was picturing! I may end up having to drop down to the 130. I'm going to do some measurements to see what might work. I do have spots in my basement (which is finished) that could accommodate it but that's just not what I was picturing. I really wanted the tank in an area that we are in frequently. The larger side of our basement is pretty much our kids playroom and though there are several spots the tank could go I just don't really want it there. The other side is essentially a workout room. There is a good wall for it but its not an area we hang out in (unless passing through or using the workout equipment). I would like the tank to be in a more common area so I'm going to have to see what I can work out. I might have to sacrifice size in order to do that….

This is clearly personal choice, but I'd get the tank that fits in the area you want it rather than the tank you want in the area you don't want it.

A tank in my basement I'm only sometimes in is just no where near as enjoyable and more likely to be neglected, if not resented, for the amount of work it takes for how little I'd get to enjoy.

My tank is smack dab in the room I'm in the most and one of the first things anyone coming to my front door sees. I could have gone much larger if I'd put it in my finished basement (and maybe could have gone larger anyway), but if it's not where I am, what's the point?

MJ_15

That's kind of what I was thinking. I feel like if it's down there I just don't get to really enjoy it. It would be different if that was a big hang out area for us, but it really isn't. We spend majority of our time on the main level. I may have a way to work it in the dining area which is pretty open to our living room but I'm not sure if it will work there. I really wanted the bigger size so I would have the option to do more, but I will have to see what makes the most sense. I think I'm with you in that the priority is the ability to have it in a main area where we are viewing it and enjoying it more.

Adrienne

As a C-250 owner there is nothing I can really add that has not been said. It's a great looking unit, it would be a shame to have it any where other than your main area of the house. Mine sits directly in front of me in my lounge. I've had it running 15 months, added a power head and then removed it as it wasn't needed.
It's running stock skimmer etc. My lights are Geisemann but that is simply because where I live its not so easy to get Red Sea replacements :)
I added a chiller from the start as it gets hot here and the chiller comes on in the winter on odd occasions and runs a lot over spring/summer.
I've mainly softies in the tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If it helps, my tank is 6 inches from the TV

09f82d2e.jpg

Rini

Having since june an RSM C-250. And I really love the tank. Design is awesome. But off course this is personal opinion.
When you get it you have everything. It is like an Lego box. Everything you need is in the box.
No need to worry about equipment. The only thing i have added is a very very cheap ATO. Basically just an jerrycan and a small (can't find the english word) float device. Turn pump on or off when it reach the water level.

I'm now 4 months further, and everything is keep doing as it should be. I can put in LPS / SPS basically everything without thinking about do i have enough light. No need to adjust light %.
It just does the trick, nothing more nothing less.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is the skimmer. This is making decent noise. For us this is not an show stopper btw. We have aways noise in our living room. Kids, radio, dog, cats.

If I should do it over again I definitely would buy another C-250. It is for me the perfect size, I repeat myself, it does just everything.
I'm using it stock. No reactors or dosing units, no refugium or anything else there is.
Just stock with the Red sea Reef care program.
And for me 1 other thing was important with making the choice. Red sea support.
This is just great.

The whole family here like the tank.

Adrienne

My tank is around 30cm from the television :)

Rini, my skimmer is a bit noisy too but the biggest noise comes from the chiller!
Reminder to myself - don't move the next marine tank on to the wall backing on to the master bedroom!!

All good though, I leave the cabinet door open when I go to bed at night to allow chiller noise into the lounge and also if something goes wrong with the skimmer I actually wake to the change of noise (NB that is mother instinct, mother's learn to sleep with one ear open :)

MJ_15

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. So there is some space next to our TV that would fit it but I don't think my husband will go for that location. There are also a couple of other problems with that area - it is where our Christmas tree always goes and I honestly don't think there is anywhere else in our house where that could go! It would also put it quite close to our fireplace, which does get extensive use during the colder months and generates a lot of heat on a regular basis.

There is another good spot in the living room that could fit the 130, but not the 250. I was hoping that would be where it would go but after seeing it in person, I can tell it won't fit there. I think my only realistic option might be in the dining area. I still don't know if that will work or not yet, I'll have to measure it out. The good thing is that our dining area really is an "area" and not a separate formal room. You can see it from the living room so it would definitely be quite visible.

The good news is that my husband is on board with getting the tank and was actually getting a bit excited for it when we stopped at the LFS. He also felt that it should not go in the basement and it should be where we will all get to see it a lot. He is worried about the size issue and thinks the 130 makes more sense so we'll see!

Pat24601

The nature of aquariums is to always want bigger...for some good reasons. You can get more/different stuff.

That said, there is nothing wrong at all with the 130. 30 gallons is really a pretty big tank. If that's what works for you, it's not a bad decision.

Rini

Like what Pat says. If I had to choose for a 130 in the living room, or an 250 for in the dining room or any other room I for sure would go for the 130. It is so nice to have it close to you. I notice myself now very regular that when Danielle watching tv series i'm watching the tank. Our tank is as well not very far from the tv.

Trinhy

image.jpeg I have had mine for almost 4 months now, next to the TV and I love it. Spend more time lookin at the tank rather than TV these days! I would definitely choose the C250 again but regardless of my choice I think I would always find things to add to the Wishlist of upgrades

MJ_15

OK….so I am now very close to pulling the trigger on a Reefer 250. I originally thought not having a canopy wouldn't be good but have since realized I can have a screen made to fit the top which should help keep fish in and little hands out. I just keep finding myself really drawn to the rimless look. I also really want LEDs and this would allow me to just get them vs pay to upgrade the existing lighting.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I know they are newer so it seems there are less of them out there. Also, if I go down this route does that mean I don't get to be apart of this specific forum? :( Is this only for the max tanks? I'm wondering if I should still direct questions about this tank (or start a future tank thread) here or in the general reef discussion forum?

Thanks again to all who have helped!

spiraling

be careful of wanting something better... this hobby is addicting :)

the 250c will be set up in day. the reefer will tank other parts and a LOT of tinkering. are you ok with that?
both should be great but they have aesthetic (and price) differences. it will be a part of your life for years. they are hard to change out so don't plan on something different in a year. get what you want now. i have the 130 and wish i had bigger. but having the tank in a room you spend a lot of time in is very important. opt for smaller over remote, but bigger if you can. everyone here will help regardless of the tank and livestock you choose :celebrate: