How much do you love (or not love) your RSM?

MJ_15

I'm thinking about getting a RSM C-250 and just looking for some up-to-date feedback about going with this tank vs something that is not an AIO.

Background on me: I had an AIO nano saltwater tank (24g) several years ago. It was my first SW tank and I really loved the process of setting it up and caring for it. It was mostly fish only, I had a few softies but my main interest was the fish and critters then. After a move while I was 7 months pregnant with my first child the tank was never quite the same. After our baby arrived I really started lacking the same amount of time/energy to devote to it. About a year later I had a heater malfunction that wiped out my livestock and I decided to break it down.

Now a few years (and two more kids) later, I have found myself really wanting to do it again. I miss it and I also think my two older kids would absolutely love it. I'd like to get more into trying corals this time as well. My birthday is next month so I thought what better excuse to get a tank started again? Back when I had my last tank I remember really admiring the RSM tanks (and wishing I had one) so I started looking at them recently. I want a bigger tank than I had before (but not too big) so the size seems good to me. The C-250 seems pricey, but I wonder if I am just not thinking about the cost of all the different parts added all together? I love the look of them (and that is important as the tank would likely end up in a highly visable area and so needs to look more furniture quality), they seem to be really well made and well liked, and also - while I love the "idea" of DYI stuff I honestly have zero skills in that area. I have no ability to drill tanks or plumb sumps etc. So getting something that comes pretty much ready to go is pretty great for me.

So now that I just wrote a ton......what I am wondering is, from people who have them currently - would you buy one again if you were to do it over? Are there things about them that would send you in another direction? Or do you find any potential drawbacks worth the benefits? Anything I might not be thinking of that I should keep in mind?

Thanks so much for any thoughts/advice!

DaveK

This is kind of a loaded question. There is no really right or wrong answer. It all depends upon what you want out of your reef system. There are many people out there that own a Red Sea system and they love it. At the same time there are people that would never consider one.

The advantages of any all in one system are generally lower initial cost, it's plug and play, it will work reasonably well right out of the box, since the equipment selection is already done, anyone can put it together. Downsides are limited upgrades that may be difficult to install. Limitations in the system design that you want different. You more or less have to live with what you bought.

The advantages of putting the system together yourself are getting exactly what you want, you can spend the money where you want, you can get much higher quality equipment, but at a much higher price. Downsides are a much longer construction phase, possibly higher cost, possible rebuild of major areas if you don't know what your doing.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

and welcome back to the game, when you get a new tank, start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

From reading your post... your thought process was very much like mine when I was making the decision, I started with a RSM 130D (34 gallon) and a year later upgraded to a 66 gallon RSM 250 and love it :nessie:, would not hesitate to buy another RSM AIO or a RSM Reefer.

Lots & lots of beautiful and successful RSM tanks on RS, I think you would be very happy with one and would find they are actually very comparable in cost if not cheaper, to a custom tank with all the elements added up, if one selects high end quality equipment for their build.

Imo RSM tanks are the best AIO in the market & are proven to work, the RSM club if full of examples with long term success, that said, any "well designed" tanks success if going to largely be make by husbandry skills and dedication to maintenance.

Hope this helps :clownfish:

Desmond

I have a RSM 130 D and i think it is a great tank.
There are mods you can do to these tanks if you want to upgrade skimmers and pumps and add wave makers. You have options of adding temperature controllers and allot more.
If you are going to keep it stock then i think the tank would be perfect for you.
But if you wants mods maybe a Red Sea Reefer would be better suited as you can choose all the equipment you want and lights ect. The tank you want will also depend on what type of stock you hope to keep and your fish wish list .
Looking back at it now i would have been allot better off going for a reefer or custom tank after all the mods i will have made. I will have spent nearly 1k dollars on the mods by the time i am finished never mind all the stock . Just dont tell the boss woman lol
There are lots of great RSM 250 on here so you can get an idea of what you could acheieve.

Danreef

Start to define what you want inside your tank. And I will give you options:

A) soft corals
B) LPS corals
C) SPS Corals
D) Mix tank

And I will say that the RSM C250 will work for all of the options as it comes from factory.

In my experience, for SPS full tank in the short or long term, depending on what SPSs you have, you will need some modifications.

Based on what you wrote I belive that a nice mixed tank with colorful and hard to kill soft/LPS/SPS corals will be the best for the kids and family. No modifications needed. And if you keep a good husbandry (weekly water changes, every XXX months cleaning pumps, changing T5, etc) you will have a tank to enjoy for many years.

The most important step, after you decided the tank, it will be the START !!!! . I meant type of sand and rocks. When time come we all can provide our experiences. Then the second most important is adding fish and coral. It's selection and how to avoid to enter pests.

Step by Step...... I will highly recomend the RSM C250 for your situation. I got mine because I didn't want to deal with a lot of issues a custom tank can have and also I wanted it as a furniture. But this last one objective failed in part, because I went crazy with SPS and have to do some mods to keep the acropora. But still looks great in the family room.

Cheers
Daniel

MJ_15

Thanks to you all for such helpful responses!

DaveK - this definitely makes sense. I can see this is a personal choice that will vary greatly depending on each person's situation. Thanks for summing up the pros and cons of the different tank types.

Based on the responses and my personal situation, I am thinking this may be a good fit for me. As I said, I do not really have the skills or the knowledge required to put together something custom. I always wanted to have a sump/refugium but that is something I can probably do without for now. I think simplicity is probably a good thing for me given that I am just starting back. This may not be my first time but I am still very much a newbie. As I said before, my last tank was very, very simple and so a lot of stuff will be new to me anyway.

I do also love the reefer series, but I really think a closed canopy is a good thing for our house. I have 3 young kids and while they will clearly be taught the rules regarding the tank, an open top just seems like it might be asking for trouble. For the safety of the tank inhabitants and my kids, I really prefer to have the top covered.

For corals - I think probably mixed, with more emphasis on the LPS. I really love bright colors and am very drawn to the movement you get with those. But who knows, as I have never really ventured down this road before so I really don't know how I will end up feeling. I do know that I am not looking to have an SPS dominant tank here.

Some specific questions:

- Heat issues? I would really love to avoid having to add a chiller. Is this possible?
- Are the stock skimmer and pumps good? Do people tend to change these or will I be good with them?
- I would love to have an ATO. Is it easy to add this? Do I need a specific one to get it to fit and work properly?

Thanks!

spiraling

If you do plan a lot of mods later go with a reefer. If you want an easy good looking tank that you set up and start cycling the same day go with the c-250. Another nice part with the c-250 is all the cords are out of reach of little hands, and the top is closed so snacks and toys don't get dropped in. Just sayin' since you have a little one at home. There are several really nice looking setups on RS including @DianaKay.

There are some other AIO out there, and obviously you can build your own setup. But my rsm130 has made getting into saltwater easy. Like almost everyone else I don't like the noisy skimmer or the lights. I have replaced both. And yes I would like a sump with refugium. Oh wait, what I really want is a bigger tank :celebrate:. If I bought a new tank today it would be another RSM. The build quality is excellent. and because it sits in my living room I want a really good looking modern setup. No oak cabinet for this girl!

You might be able to pick up something used on craigslist to save some $$. You'll have to replace the light bulbs, and check the pumps, but otherwise they are pretty durable and a well cared for tank can last through several owners.

NickF

It sounds like the C250 would definitely suit your needs, I've got a C130 and apart from adding an MP10 pump for more flow and an LED moonlight strip I'm still running it stock.
I'd spend some time looking through some threads on here, it was a big help for me before I got my tank. One great reason for going with an RSM tank is this site and all the help you get off everyone who has the same tank.

spiraling

- Heat issues? I would really love to avoid having to add a chiller. Is this possible?
a chiller will depend on your house. The lights and pumps can raise the temps. There are several people who run without them though. You can search fo some threads on how to do it. I don't run a chiller because my house rarely gets close to 80 degrees, so its easy to just heat the tank.

- Are the stock skimmer and pumps good? Do people tend to change these or will I be good with them?
I'll leave comment to the 250 owners. On the 130 they were noisy, but worked.

- I would love to have an ATO. Is it easy to add this? Do I need a specific one to get it to fit and work properly?
Tunze makes several models that are great and easy to install (like 10 minutes) Be sure to leave some room between wall and tank so you can run the wires and tubing.

Danreef

Temp: as said will depend on your average house temp. But the RSM 250 (the model I have) have the tendency to have high temps. The C-250 model has a more open canopy in the back. I run mine with a chiller, but I have SPS, that are very sensitive to changes. Not your case.

Pumps: always excelent. But can fail as any equipment. I have, at least, a replacement for each one. Now is time to clean my pumps. I will switch pumps and clean the used ones for the last year.

ATO : you need one !!!! To keep the water level constant for your skimmer to work perfectly. Can be done by hand, but with child's and a busy house, the chances you forget to add water "every day" are high. Changes in salinity will affect corals, plus your skimmer will not work very well. I have a JBJ ATO. Both Tunze and JBJ will be the ones I will use. Just look them online. See how they can be installed and then your budget !!

For the ATO you will need to plan to have, inside the furniture , or outside, a 5-10 G recipient to keep your RODI water and the ATO pump.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Yes - I don't run a chiller (and live in the south), without one, you need to keep the home ambient temp in the low to mid 70's in the summer & run the included rear cooling fan

My stock ones are working fine going on 5 years... I think I changed one in the last year... very easy to replace & not very expensive. You can check out replacement parts here...
http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max_c9.htm

everything is 100% under warranty 1st year - for several years you should just need to change bulbs

These are easy to fit ... lots of members have added them & can advise. I am in the minority I think... I still manually top off just because I don't mind doing it 1 min a day. +1 skimmer will work well with consistent water levels

and this imo - this a HUGE PLUS...
One great reason for going with an RSM tank is this site and all the help you get off everyone who has the same tank.

suspiria2

I got a Max S 650 about 6 weeks ago and so far I am pleased with the package as a whole. The ATO is very helpful and the build quality of the tank is good. I do not have much in the way of livestock in it yet but the protein skimmer has been behaving although it did take about 3 weeks to get it stable. As a newcomer to the hobby the plug and play aspect was a major factor in going with Red Sea as well as the information and help from this forum.
This early on I do not have any complaints, my only addition would be LED lights.
I did get a 1/3hp chiller as it easily gets up to around 80 in the summer, sometimes even with the AC turned on full.

newo11

To me - what defines the best system for you really comes down to your budget and a recognition of your limitations. With a busy household, a larger tank is much easier to care for than the 24g nanocube you had before, which will be important as you will want this tank to function as much on its own as possible. It sounds like you are pretty far into the decision to buy an RSM C-250, and they are great tanks!

Heat is an issue on a RSM 250. You can run the cooling fans, but they are loud. And with little ones in the house, you may not want to add to the noise. I personally consider a chiller a necessity with any version of the RSM 250 (original or C), because the enclosed top and the pumps all lead to a high level of retained heat in the tank. That closed top that protects the tank from little hands, also contributes to retained heat in the tank!

Long-term success in a tank really comes down to setting it up correctly from the beginning. The RSM tanks are great in the fact that they do have an enclosed design and come stock with everything you need. Additionally (and to me the best part) they remove a lot of potential failure points, with the sump in the back of the tank, as opposed to plumbed to the tank.

When you consider what you want, make sure you budget for a couple of key items. In my opinion, good, high quality (read as expensive!) live rock makes a huge difference in success in the AIO tanks. You want the best biological filter you can have in a very limited environment - 65 gallons is really not a lot of space! High quality, highly porous live rock takes the best advantage of the available space and providing you with the most robust biological filter you can fit in a limited environment (again, in my opinion...)

I personally would not change the stock pumps - there is no reason to do so (except for the pump for your chiller). But I would look at additional flow for the tank in an additional power head or two.

The other thing to consider - if you can find one, the RSM 250 tanks are great used. (I personally went this route). I saved a whole lot in startup costs for the tank itself, which allowed me to use my budget in several selected upgrades (chiller, LED lighting, new pumps, etc.) Just make sure you find one without any deep scratches in the glass - everything else is easy to replace. Just my 2 cents....

Good luck, and welcome!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
nemo - if you have a chiller I am sure you don't need the cooling fans, but they should not be "that loud"... mine are not... after they are a few years old, they do get a bit louder, but can be easily replaced with new for less than $38 - I have done this once & this has been my experience - the sound all skimmers make, is much louder, so much more, that I only slightly hear my cooling fans. But we also have TVs on & ceiling fans, etc... so I hardly notice...
http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-250-Water-Cooling-Fan-RS40286.htm

newo11

nemo - if you have a chiller I am sure you don't need the cooling fans, but they should not be "that loud"... mine are not... after they are a few years old, they do get a bit louder, but can be easily replaced with new for less than $38 - I have done this once & this has been my experience - the sound all skimmers make, is much louder, so much more, that I only slightly hear my cooling fans. But we also have TVs on & ceiling fans, etc... so I hardly notice...
http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-250-Water-Cooling-Fan-RS40286.htm

According to the wife, the entire tank is "that loud" lol!

I actually did replace the cooling fans as well as the ballast fans. To me they were louder than I would like even brand new.

The other benefit to a chiller is substantially reduced evaporation. I replace about 10-12 ounces of water per day which I can do by hand instead of relying on an ATO.

Pat24601

I love mine, but love it much much more after upgrading the lights to LEDs!

Jeff

This is where I am. Love my C-250. LED conversion was really the only big thing I've done to it and I love it.

Also, I want to support what spiraling said in that it's as toddler friendly as I can imagine a tank being. My twin 2 year old boys haven't caused any serious trouble yet...though I'm sure it's coming.

MJ_15

Wow, this forum is great! Thanks so much to everyone who has posted, this is all a huge help.

So if I go this route, it sounds like for the chiller I will have to just see how it goes. We are heading into winter so I would imagine I will be fine for a little while and then see how things adjust to the warmer weather next spring/summer. If I end up needing a chiller, so be it.

Good to hear that pumps and skimmer should be good. Whenever I see pictures it looks like people have added some additional pumps for flow, is this something I should plan for?

The LEDs definitely are intriguing. I don't think I could do anything right away but down the road they seem like a very cool upgrade. I especially love the idea of the sunrise/sunset.

I'm going to try to see if I can find one set up in an LFS so I can get a feel for the size and look in person. I know the dimensions and have seen lots of pictures but somehow there is no substitute for seeing something right in front of you.

This whole forum as a resource is a huge plus! I have already gotten lots of help/advice, I can only imagine how useful it is when actually starting and maintaining a tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I encourage everyone to run stock for a few months & get to know their tank, you will have success, then see if you want to add anything like addition flow - nice but not a must have, I added a Vortech MP 10 after the 1st year :nessie: and love it, but you don't need anything but stock to start.

It's a hobby though and no wrong answers, some like to start with all the toys :angelic:

Pat24601

I encourage everyone to run stock for a few months & get to know their tank, you will have success, then see if you want to add anything like addition flow - nice but not a must have, I added a Vortech MP 10 after the 1st year :nessie: and love it, but you don't need anything but stock to start.

It's a hobby though and no wrong answers, some like to start with all the toys :angelic:

This is exactly my advice as well. Don't buy anything additional until you understand why you want/need it. You have plenty of time. People will still take your money later.