How much carbon to use?

orieng

We all use carbon but I am not sure how to calculate how much carbon to use? I got three bags of carbon with my S 500 but I used only 1 bag. Is is adequate ? Can the members give some pointers please. Thanks

momalpas

Hi orieng when I change out my carbon I go for 1 gram per litre so I use 500 grams which I change monthly and my tank is crystal clear :happywalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great post Greg ^

Running BRS carbon calc on a RSM 500 around 1 cup every two weeks is suggested :)
NEED:13 tbsp
0.84 cup

How many does that work out to around using... liters /grams mates? ;) around 200 ???
sport06.gif

jernst

I read where your not supposed to use carbon in a reef aquarium. Something about it takes out some of the nutrients. Should i be using carbon?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
From the article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php

Activated Carbon

There has been a great debate for years on whether one can/should run activated carbon in a reef tank. The anti-carbon argument takes the position that carbon removes beneficial material that coral and other inverts consume. I have never heard a convincing explanation of what this supposed food consists of or what it does for these organisms. Carbon is used to remove dissolved organic compounds from the water. The effect of DOCs could be to merely cause the water to take on a yellowish appearance they can consist of complex organic toxins produced by the creatures in the tank. Dissolved substances are not directly absorbed by higher animals and are mainly consumed by bacteria and algae. Coral, anemones and similar critters don’t directly consume dissolved organic materials. The zooxanthellae in corals don’t benefit much from dissolved organics as they get their nutrients directly from the coral and the uptake is extremely fast. It is highly unlikely that running carbon 24/7 removes any material that is essential to the livestock in a tank. Carbon improves water quality and reduces bioload on the tank, so I would say to go ahead and use it.