How many times a day/week do you feed your fish?

How often do you feed?

• Once a day

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • More than once a day

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • 2-3 times a week

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Every other day

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

caca9786

So apparantly-- I am overfeeding. At 3 times a day! They just love to eat... so I'm curious as to how often everyone else feeds! :tumble:

xspeedrj

So apparantly-- I am overfeeding. At 3 times a day! They just love to eat... so I'm curious as to how often everyone else feeds! :tumble:

Three times a day is NOT overfeeding. It is the amount. From every forum I have read marine fish are all-day grazers. If the total amount of food is the same, feeding them 3 times a day is better than once a day.

jcgardner

I feed every three days. I do add reef bugs about every six weeks as the fish do graze on the live rock. I have had my fish for over two years.

SecretAgent

I feed three times a day.....Flakes, brine shrimp and cut up shrimp bought from the store. I feed the corals coral frenzy and cyclops eeze once a week cause they get fed a little when I feed the fish....im sure they do anyway or they wouldnt look as good as they do. Lights on for 12 hours a day.........400w MH....

=)~

caca9786

I guess it's really just a matter of opinion.. and depends on what type of fish?

I do have to say that I was along the thoughts of feeding small amounts 3 times a day, instead of one huge feed was better.

I feed the corals once a week and supplement the snailies once a week too!

cbrownfish

So apparantly-- I am overfeeding. At 3 times a day!

Realistically, that statement is subjective. You can feed heavily if your export practices allow for it. Many successful reef keepers strive for a high import, high export environment.

A.K.A. - lotsa feeding, lotsa skimming and nutrient binding media.

cioutlaw

I feed the Tangs Nori 2-3 times per day, everyone else gets fed 1 per day sometimes twice.

I also run a huge skimmer & all the food is ate within 1 minute.

reefracer

I agree with the idea you can feed in small amounts as often as you like, also the fish are likely to eat as often as you feed them, I mean they are fish which means they will eat until they pop literally. That means WATER QUALITY is the determining factor. Just don't overfeed causing the parameters to crash. Overfeeding is the best argument for CUC, if you do overfeed they can help clean up. BTW, I'm sure it is not the best way because it the wild fish eat all day long but I generally feed only once per day becasue of my schedule.

DaveK

I guess it's really just a matter of opinion.. and depends on what type of fish?...

That is just about the best thought posted here. If you have a lionfish, weekly feedings are about right. If you have anthias damsels, 3 times a day may not be enough.

Don't get hung up on how often you feed. Consider the fish species, and what they need, and are you meeting their requirements along with keeping nitrates and phosphates down.

BTW, if you see nitrates and phosphates go up or you are getting a lot of problem algae, feeding too much is often a big part of the problem.