How Many Different Skimmers Have You Used?

How many different skimmers, What style?

• Total voters

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
How many different brands of skimmer have you used and how many different styles such as Venturi, Beckett, Needle wheel, Air driven/air stone, Other. :D

Just curious.

smkndrgn142

I'm guessing those like me that have used 1 venturi type skimmer haven't had the best of luck with them. I know there are better types out there, I'm guessing the needle wheel or the Becket give better results. Can't wait to hear from people that have used multiple skimmers!

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I forgot a few skimmers when I voted :)

So here is my list : Berlin Triple pass
coralife super skimmer
Pm bullit 2
MRC MR-4 MR-5
Prism
MRC MR-2
Euro Reef Rc 250
Euro Reef RS 180
Nautilus Te
Multiply Air Driven skimmers DIY
Top Fathom 100a

That leaves me with venturi, needle wheel, recirculating, air driven, and beckett. The MRC MR-4 and 5 I got for a LFS when I worked there, when i left I felt like i was leaving my skimmers behind lol they kicked ace :D

I have a MRC MR-3 on the way and also trying a octopus NP80 nano skimmer which i can't find any reviews on so assuming it's a waste of money but i will give it a legit review :D

I have come back around to Beckett skimmers, that's just where's it's at for me although the E.T.S.S. downdraft skimmers have struck my interest but never seem to have the right timing when I see one for sale, there was a huge one on CL but the guy couldn't get back to me before I ordered the MR-3.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'm guessing those like me that have used 1 venturi type skimmer haven't had the best of luck with them. I know there are better types out there, I'm guessing the needle wheel or the Becket give better results. Can't wait to hear from people that have used multiple skimmers!

Nothing wrong with venturi skimmers :D I honestly enjoy the equipment side of this hobby as much as keeping the tank so if I get a chance to snag a skimmer cheap to try out I do :D that is how i got the prisum exsperience got two one of the small and one of the big one and both were flood hazards. lol

Rhodes19

I voted 1. I have a Remora Nano and its ok. It was on my 29 in the den and my wife would complain about how loud it was. Finally moved it. I do need a skimmer for my 180 so I'm tagging along to see what other folks have to say abut their skimmers. :)

gavinol

Has been struck by the ban stick
i used a protein skimmer uses a Venturi style pump to inject air into the water column. A Venturi pump is basically a modified powerhead that sucks air in and mixes it with the water being pumped. This process mixes the air and the water very well and allows for more air/water contact time then the airstone driven type of skimmer.

******* Advertisement Links REMOVED******
BigAl07

Last edited by a moderator:

GlassMunky

I voted 1. I have a Remora Nano and its ok.

This is the first time i've heard anyone say anything other than "The most amazing HOB skimmer ever" about the remoras. Anything other than the noise an issue? I'm thinking ofgetting the normal, not the nano, for my 29 as my Prism one SUCKS

Rhodes19

This is the first time i've heard anyone say anything other than "The most amazing HOB skimmer ever" about the remoras. Anything other than the noise an issue? I'm thinking ofgetting the normal, not the nano, for my 29 as my Prism one SUCKS

Hey GlassMunky,

I originally had it on my 29 g reef and it worked great for the first 6 months (other than the air noise) and then after a while it just stopped making skimmate. I used to have to clean the skimmate container 1-2 times a week and then it would go for a month with maybe an 1/8" skimmate. I've taken it apart numerous times, cleaned it, re-cleaned it, brushed out the air intake, soaked it in vinegar solution and nothing seemed to help. I was an over feeder back then and I know my water quality wasn't the greatest so it got frustrating. I talked with the folks at Remora and they were nice but everything they told me to try didn't work. I finally turned it off and took it off the 29. To be fair, I haven't come across anyone else who has had this problem so it may be just my unit. All the other reports I've seen sing Remora's praises. I'll have to set up a nano again and see what happens. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
O'boy, where to begin?
I have setup about 20+ skimmers on other peoples tanks over the years, built two DIY ones and ran about 5 on my tanks. So far non has performed better then the one large dual becket skimmer I built. I am still wanting to run a bubble king and experience the red dragon pump but have yet to do it.
As far as low costing skimmers, I have run two including the prizim and coralifes nautilus. Both worked ok with a few mods done to them.
The prizim believe it or not was a real hog after modifying it with a better pump and adding a few bioballs to the chamber to help diffuse the bubbles. This I had on a clown breading tank that I fed heavily when first getting into the hobby of reef keeping.
The nautilus was a beast of a skimmer when I tossed a mag7 on it with a diy impeller.
The reefoctopus is a new one that I setup on somones tank about a year ago and it works very well. I still don't like a few things about it but for the money I am impressed. It could do with a few modifications to the air intake with a larger hole.
The same go's for a few other I have setup. Most skimmers today need to be modified one way or the other imo. I have had about 3 ASM's sent to me for rebuilds now and never had a complaint. BigAl's was one of them.
I rebuilt a huge 7 foot down draft once that ran about 30+ 20 gallon fish only tanks in a chain. that thing was very touchy.
I do have a lot of head knowledge on a monstrous square air stone type skimmer that another built on another forum. That was very impressive in it's ability to handle 1000 gallons of reef water. The bubble size on that one was so fine the main column looked like milk just like my large dual becket skimmer.
So I have a respect for those that run air stone skimmers.
IM not a big fan of the needle wheel method though. To much heat is introduced to the water imo and the impeller can cause some serious damage to life forms that pass through it. I am more partial to the becket styles these days.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Forgot to mention for you nano guys out there that I have also ran and modified the sapphire nano skimmer with good results. Not to sure you can get them anymore but worth the investment if you can get one.
I have one friend also that runs one that I built as a copy and changed the design a bit on for better contact time. His tank is immaculate.
I will try to edit my posts as time go's by and memory serves me better.