How many clowns?

redneckgearhead

Hey everyone, Ive started a 55 hex, FOWLR for the wife. And after a trip to the Jenks Aquarium and seeing one tank full of "nemo's" she wants a tank full of them as well. SOOO how many can I safely put in there? I know this will be a tough one because I would need to put them all in at once to prevent territory issues. Thanks for any and all comments.

Ive heard different things about this one. They say not more than 2 because eventually in a group of 3 or more, two will become a pair and not want those others around them. But i have also heard differently with tank raised ones saying that they are fine together, im sure as long as you get them from the same tank and all at once. Best of luck!

DaveK

I would keep it to a pair of them. They will grow and as they become adults they will pair off an set up territories. In addition there are so many other desirable fish that you can keep, why limit yourself to a single species? Keep in mind that your going to be limited to about 5 two inch fish in a tank that size.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have a pair of clownfish & recently asked Doni (Woodstock) if I could add another another pair of Picasso & she advise against it... +1 advise above...

more info here... if interested
About

Val

I haven't been over to the Jenks Aquarium in about a year. I'll have to get over there again soon. I love their shark tunnel! I have to ask, were the clowns there juveniles or were they adults? I'm sure they can do things over there that we would never be able to do in our home aquariums. In a 55g I agree with Davek you will be limited on how many you can put in there. If you do decide to do this, you may have to move some to another aquarium as they mature.

Yaten13

I have seen a large tank full of clowns but it was also full of anemone's as well. It might be possible, but you really need to think about having enough territory for everyone so no one feels the need to fight. BTW one of these days I want to set up an aquarium that the entire bottom is covered with anemone's and clowns too. Sounds like a cool concept, but since I only have one 55 at the moment, I have to fit as much diversity as I possibly can in it!

SeaSiren

Hi I have kept up to 5 in one tank juveniles that is but once they get to be about and inch and a half they start trying to pair off and then one becomes the dominant female and she selects a mate and then all the others stay juvenile males unless her mate dies and then the next one steps up the problems is that most of the time they will pair off and not want other fish around as they become territorial...so I keep my juveniles together for awhile and when i notice one getting larger and doing alot of bullying I pull that one and the one she has selected for a mate and put them in a seperate tank and then contiune to do the same with the others as well...I suppose it is possible to keep some types of clowns together but I think you would have to have a pretty large tank just my two cents...and I have some of Doni's fish as well and I know she advises against keeping or introduciing addtional fish to a tank with exsisting pair in it....you can read her post its very informative and is just plain awesome! It may take a couple of days to get through it or a marthathon 4 hours but, it is one of the best reads on breeding clownfish and her experiences and just clownfish in general!

redneckgearhead

why limit yourself to a single species
Because thats what the wife wants. If it was my tank I wouldnt do it either.

mbdave, awesome link! She would love a tank like that!

I haven't been over to the Jenks Aquarium in about a year. I'll have to get over there again soon. I love their shark tunnel! I have to ask, were the clowns there juveniles or were they adults? I'm sure they can do things over there that we would never be able to do in our home aquariums. In a 55g I agree with Davek you will be limited on how many you can put in there. If you do decide to do this, you may have to move some to another aquarium as they mature.
Yea I love the tunnel too. Im sure they where juveniles and I totally understand that the capabilities between my tiny tank and there huge tanks with a team of experts taking care of them is two differant worlds. Im not looking to overstock this tank with them. That would be cruel. Im just asking for opinions of what my limit would be on clowns in this tank. My wife suggested 30 but I brought her back to earth and said there was no way we could do close to 30. I was thinking 4-5. Probably 4 that way there would be no "odd man out" situations going on.

SeaSiren

Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish! Is the name of the thread if you haven't found it! Its under Lifestock Breeding! :)

redneckgearhead

Thanks Everyone! She is very dissappointed but such is life. Now shes saying she doesnt know what she wants. I really appreciate everyones advice.

Yaten13

Thanks Everyone! She is very dissappointed but such is life. Now shes saying she doesnt know what she wants. I really appreciate everyones advice.

This is an opportunity. Either convince her that 1) you actually do need a 1000g tank so you can put 47 clowns in it or 2) convince her that you actually need a community reef tank. If you let the wife be involved in picking out a pair of clowns, anemone, various "pretty" fish and corals, I think she will be really happy with it in the long run. My wife has picked out things that I never would have guessed, but she is absolutely in love with the tank and is really attached to her picks. I just spent a lot of time on big saltwater fish sites with her showing her some of the things that we could get and let her help stock.

redneckgearhead

This is an opportunity. Either convince her that 1) you actually do need a 1000g tank so you can put 47 clowns in it or 2) convince her that you actually need a community reef tank. If you let the wife be involved in picking out a pair of clowns, anemone, various "pretty" fish and corals, I think she will be really happy with it in the long run. My wife has picked out things that I never would have guessed, but she is absolutely in love with the tank and is really attached to her picks. I just spent a lot of time on big saltwater fish sites with her showing her some of the things that we could get and let her help stock.

Yea shes getting more involved as far as picking out fish and coral. But picking them out is as far as she wants to take it. She has no interest in finer points of fish keeping. (I get to do all the research and work) Im sure she will come around and pick out some fish for her tank since its cycled. I tried to sell her on a 200+ gallon tank I seen on CL but she wasnt going for it. lol thanks again