How long

pronsp

I have baby clowns and wanted to know how long do you hold on to your babies until you sell them? And why?

I would like all opinions please.

Thanks, Pam

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I would think Doni would be the expert, but I would think once they reach 3/4" to 1" they should be good to go.

catran

Doni is the expert. I think she waits until they are at lear 1/2" to ensure their survival and to make sure all of the "issues", i.e. deformities show up. She "culls" the ones that show deformities in order to keep the breed pure. That is what a responsible breeder does. Post on her thread and if you want, read her really long but absolutely awesome thread.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32474

pronsp

Oh I pm Doni all the time, but I didn't want to bother her again :). Mine are at least 1". Eating well. And yes, I will be a responsible breeder and Cull....I don't like too but I know it needs to be done.
Pam

catran

I think they are ready to go if they're 1" for sure!
If I had clown babies, I would wait until 3/4-1" myself.. I would rather them get a little older and fat before I sell them, but that's just MHO. Is this your first batch of baby clowns? It might be hard for me to let the first batch go, at least at first!

pronsp

Yes, it's my first *adopted* ones to go.. :(. My other 4 batches I have right now are Mocha clowns. My pair keep laying every 12 days :).
I have followed the post's on here for breeders and raising clowns and it has inspired me. My husband built me a breeder for Mothers Day.
Pam