How long have you been in the hobby

ReefLady

Staff member
20 years since my first SW tank, but have been out of the hobby (no tank) for the last 3.

squidy

Teri, Doesnt it drive you crazy to chat about SW stuff and not have a tank? I couldnt take it. Although I have only been in the hobby for a little over a year now. And man does the time fly!

ReefLady

Staff member
Teri, Doesnt it drive you crazy to chat about SW stuff and not have a tank?

Yes, I definitely miss it. But I know that I/we definitely have too much going on right now to dedicate the time and focus a tank needs, so I won't set up another until that changes. Until then, I live vicariously through all of you. Isn't that scary? ;-)

I feel that at least I am staying "close" to the hobby, so when I eventually decide to set up another tank I won't have to make up for years of lost knowledge. :) And hopefully, I still have some knowledge/experience to contribute that will help others.

lcstorc

July 2005 here.
It all started with hermit crabs I let the kids bring home from vacation.

rmlevasseur

I started freshwater tanks in 4th grade, and by 7th was breeding betta and various cichlids. In 8th grade I started a 55 saltwater tank, which I kept thru high school. In college I always kept oscars. After college I was briefly into keeping large fancy goldfish. In law school I got back into salt water big time, and kept a very successful fowler for 10 years. Then I took a break when my two kids were born. In 2007 I returned with a vengeance and started a 180 reef, 70 gallon gigantea tank with spawning clowns, and a 45 gallon tank dedicated to a young pair of Black Photon clownfish, with the whole system tied into a 150 gallon sump.

That's my hobby history. I'm now 42. Next step is to set up a clownfish grow-out system, set up a 70ish SPS only tank, and eventually another 180 FOWLR.

redsea reefer

started 1 and 1/2 years ago knowing nothing and now have the knowledge and experience to have a wonderful reef tank thanks to all of you...

fivel

6.5 years for me in Saltwater... probably close to 15 years since I set up my first freshwater tank. I still learn something new every single day and do the best I can to help others using the experience and knowledge I have picked up along the way.

DrHank

I started my first Salt water tank in 1972 and have had them on and off since that time. From 1968 to 1988 I was in the service and had them on and off. It depended upon the location that I was stationed. With the exception of about 3 years I've had reefs since 1992. Often when I didn't have a salt water tank, I had a freshwater tank. My current 200 gallon reef is around 3 years old and is maturing nicely. All my corals except for one have been tank raised.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've had FW as long as I can remember. My father was breeding guppies when I was knee high to a grasshopper and it just seemed natural to always have a tank going.

I'm fairly new to the SW arena. I started in January of '07 with a 10g FO tank. Oh lordy how that started a passion inside. :)

D3monic

I have been in sw for about 2years and reefs since like february of this year. I started out with a converted 20gal fw tank. fish only with a couple of pieces of live rock. Then finally after TON's of research took the plunge into reefing.