How long do you run your LED's

RDrink25

I have the Modular LED kit which has 7 white and 7 Blue Led's. I run them at full power for 11 hrs a day and wanted to know if it would be to much to run the 7 blue Led's at knight for the other 12 hrs if I were to get a controller?

Nob35

I have blues on 24 hours a day but at lower intensities at night. At night I have 8 deep blues at 2% and 8 blue running at 1% which is probably a little brighter than a standard black light. So think it would depend on how bright the blue LEDs are and if you can dim them

Nob35

If you are getting good growth from them you may not want to risk it.they do not say what wattage the LEDs are and the kelvin. I do not believe you would have problems running the blues but not sure about it. Maybe a better option would be buy a led moonlight strip something like this. CU-USA3003 Premium Aquatics - CU-USA3003 Aquarium Supplies
But I could be wrong as im not farmiliar withnthose leds.wait a while and see if anyone else that has the modular kit answers or anyone that knows LEDs better than I do.

Snowman

I have the same modular.Led kit on my RSM130d. I only run the whites at about 25% for 9hours, and the blues at 45% for the same 9 hours. If I go any higher on the output, my corals start to bleach. How long have you had the lights installed? I believe bigAl has the same setup, and runs his at about 30-40%. Maybe he will jump in here. Do you have any problem with bleaching?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm running the same set-up and run mine off my ProfiLux controller that slowly ramps them up from o% to about 55% (whites) and 0% to 70% (blues) over a 3 hour period. Then they stay at that setting for about 3-4hrs and then slowly ramp back down to 0% again. I feel like even at the lowest setting they are too bright to be used as "Moon Lights". I use a ProfiLux "SimuL" for moonlight but if I didn't have that I'd use some other very weak LED strip for night time.... also I feel like it's important for your tank to get some "Total Dark" most of the nights. Sometimes in nature the moon may be out and FULL and during those times there may not be any FULL dark periods but most of the month there are DARK nights.

YMMV :)

ausreef

you can run the blues (dimmed with a controller) or moonlights but fish and coral need a period of complete darkness at night, did you not keep your moonlights when you fitted the modular kit?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
you can run the blues (dimmed with a controller) or moonlights but fish and coral need a period of complete darkness at night, did you not keep your moonlights when you fitted the modular kit?

I did not keep my moonlights because the GHL SimuStick handles that task for me. It does sunrise, sunset, moon simulation, and LIGHTNING! By not including the factory moonlights made my LED install less complicated and left more room for other goodies :)